Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:49 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms
thank I sent them an email, they asked me for a list with a number of parts, I hope to see what they tell me. since the engine is disassembled and we know that it is a tedious job to disassemble it, it is better to make an investment to be sure of what we have
I agree, but I'm kind of over the whole D2 engine thing.
I personally rebuilt my 04, 122k mile 4.6, cutting no corners. Then the block cracked when cranking, 3 cylinders had coolant seeping between the cylinder sleeves and block(the block that pressure tested good).
I have since gotten a "good" 4.0 block, and managed to get the bearings, crank, cam, new freeze plugs and timing chain on.
I haven't had the time to finish assembling it(even though I have all the parts, to the tune of $3k+).
In the meantime, my rear rusty frame has vaporized, meaning it needs a back half swap, new frame, or another truck to go in before it'll pass state inspection...killing most any motivation for me to work on it any further.
I wish it would just go away, lol.
What's my point? Be careful throwing good money down the rabbit hole on these engines.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:00 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I agree, but I'm kind of over the whole D2 engine thing.
I personally rebuilt my 04, 122k mile 4.6, cutting no corners. Then the block cracked when cranking, 3 cylinders had coolant seeping between the cylinder sleeves and block(the block that pressure tested good).
I have since gotten a "good" 4.0 block, and managed to get the bearings, crank, cam, new freeze plugs and timing chain on.
I haven't had the time to finish assembling it(even though I have all the parts, to the tune of $3k+).
In the meantime, my rear rusty frame has vaporized, meaning it needs a back half swap, new frame, or another truck to go in before it'll pass state inspection...killing most any motivation for me to work on it any further.
I wish it would just go away, lol.
What's my point? Be careful throwing good money down the rabbit hole on these engines.
I sent them an email, they asked me for a list with a number of parts, I hope to see what they tell me. since the engine is disassembled and we know that it is a tedious job to disassemble it, it is better to make an investment to be sure of what we have

Old 07-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Drifting

I sent them an email, they asked me for a list with a number of parts, I hope to see what they tell me. since the engine is disassembled and we know that it is a tedious job to disassemble it, it is better to make an investment to be sure of what we have

the water is from when I took the heads out and had the engine out in the open since I took it out with the valve covers unscrewed

Old 07-08-2020, 03:05 PM
TReK

Looks like my 4.6, my oil pump was in 3 pieces too, and bearings were toast(but, the crank is good, so no oversize bearings needed).
I'll sell you a whole truck for less than what it'll cost for a full engine rebuild...some assembly required, lol.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Looks like my 4.6, my oil pump was in 3 pieces too, and bearings were toast(but, the crank is good, so no oversize bearings needed).
I'll sell you a whole truck for less than what it'll cost for a full engine rebuild...some assembly required, lol.
jajaja
**** land rover ... this very new is a truck ... it hurts to let it lose it would be ideal to put the motor and transmission of the land cruiser fj80 🤩 but it is too much money this type of adaptations I hope it fits me well and I am very lucky. if I should take the crank and all accessories to the store

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

If it's somehow helpful........

I have my complete 4.6 Engine still carefully dismantled and put into storage containers. The block cracked but everything else is complete and ran perfect and all the bearing surfaces and cylinder walls still have the brand new machine marks and crosshatching. So sad the block cracked on an otherwise perfect engine.

My motor only had 78k miles on it if I recall correctly so, that's about as good as one would find used. I'd be willing to part with it on the cheap. I stamped all piston/rods/bearings etc. with letters and numbers matching the crank and such so it could be put back together as it came. I intend to sell off the pieces anyway. Maybe this is helpful to someone who has a good block or would knock the sleeve out of this one and weld the block which would make it a great motor since the 03/04 have the interlocking sleeves that won't slip ever.

-Greg

Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K

I have my complete 4.6 Engine still carefully dismantled and put into storage containers. The block cracked but everything else is complete and ran perfect and all the bearing surfaces and cylinder walls still have the brand new machine marks and crosshatching. So sad the block cracked on an otherwise perfect engine.

My motor only had 78k miles on it if I recall correctly so, that's about as good as one would find used. I'd be willing to part with it on the cheap. I stamped all piston/rods/bearings etc. with letters and numbers matching the crank and such so it could be put back together as it came. I intend to sell off the pieces anyway. Maybe this is helpful to someone who has a good block or would knock the sleeve out of this one and weld the block which would make it a great motor since the 03/04 have the interlocking sleeves that won't slip ever.

-Greg
no vendería solo el cigueñal o en su defecto las bielas y pistones. Es lo que más sufrió mi motor en realidad solo el cigueñal pero si tienes las bielas originales de donde venían seria ideal

Old 07-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Drifting

-Greg
it would not only sell the crankshaft or, alternatively, the connecting rods and pistons. It is what my engine suffered the most, actually only the crankshaft but if you have the original connecting rods where they came from it would be ideal

Old 07-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

it would not only sell the crankshaft or, alternatively, the connecting rods and pistons. It is what my engine suffered the most, actually only the crankshaft but if you have the original connecting rods where they came from it would be ideal
The rods/pistons and bearings are together as a set and I have their original locations in the block stamped. So, it could be put back the way it came out of the engine originally.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:11 PM
TReK

-Greg
03/04 sleeves Can slip.
I had my 04, 4.6 bare block beside my 4.0 bare block(which I disassembled)...and they are identical, inside and out other than exterior casting numbers.
Both have the inner ridges cast into the block below the sleeves.

The following users liked this post:
Toms (07-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion