General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Range Rover Air Conditioning Issue too.. Urgh!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Range Rover Air Conditioning Issue too.. Urgh!

OK so I also am finding out that the AC system is not working that well.. the freon was gone from the system. I topped it off and over the past 2 drives it has stopped working.. I bought another can as it was not at optimal pressure but was blowing some cold air.. I then grabbed another can thinking it needed to be topped off.. we when I did the pressure was perfect according to the can. right around 30 PSI. But its not blowing any cold air at all now.

On my Disco the cold side of the return is ICE cold under the hood. It is not on the range rover..

Am I looking a t a new pump or what else might be the issue? I messed with the recycle and changing the settings in the car and no change.. The book icon is on with the ! but who can afford the rover garage.

I can toss a new pump in it and have the guy down the street drain the freon out of it.

I think the key here is the the fluid going into the the compressor(smaller tube) is HOT and its not cold coming out(Larger tube).

Thank you for your help!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I would think it is a bit early to be going for a new (or used) compressor. First step would be a set of gauges (rent if needed), and the AC section of the RAVE manual - both Range and Disco systems are very similar. And remember that most stated readings in the shop manual are at 1500 rpm, not idle. You could esily have a small leak from something as simple as the Schrader valve. The gauge on the can is only the low side, and that does not tell the whole story.