General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C, red hot on one side and nothing on the other.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C, red hot on one side and nothing on the other.

My rover is in the shop for the 2nd time for an a/c related issue these past 2 months. It worked fine for about a month since they last fixed it (a simple recharge did the trick). However, now it is not really blowing very cool and when I inspect the hot and cold sides of the compressor, I found that one side is EXTREMELY HOT (I can't keep my hand on there for more than a 1/2 second) and the cold side does not seem to be doing anything. The mechanic told me that one of my condensers fan's bearings was going out, and causing an extra strain on the electrical side of the system which is causing it to not operate correctly (the stupid fans never engage anyways). It seems logical but, I am still a bit skeptical as to whether this is the remedy. Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Turns out it was clogged but, he wanted to replace the fan and relay to ensure proper cooling of the condenser. I guess I did not hear him correctly

Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The part about bad bearings putting a strain on the electrical system seems a bit strange to me. They have their own relays and fuses. If there was too much strain, either a fuse would blow or a relay would burn up. By the way, my fans never turn on either. Makes me wonder just what kind of conditions would have to exist for them to turn on.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LRScott, you're still experiencing poor cooling though? If a recharge seemed to fix it (for a bit at least) I would think you have a leak somewhere in the system. May need to get it recharged and dyed. The condenser fan may not being kicking in because the gas level is low...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Pro Wrench

It was much hotter than before. Previously it was just warm before the recharge. I am assuming the recharge flushed the debris around but then it got stuck again. The mechanic stated that when he hooked the gauges up to it, he was getting very uneven pressure in the system. He depressurized it and then pressure flushed the system and got some debris out of it and then recharged it. Afterwards everything was very well balanced on the gauges. He said this is a sign that the compressor might be going bad... YUCK.