General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power steering at all

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power steering at all

G'day from Oz. Newbie, first post.
My old 81 has served me well for 30 years but ... its been 30 years!
Steering is like a dodgem car - can spin the wheel with my little pinky, such is how light it is. Nightmare to drive and dangerous. Got a another 3-bolt steering box from a retiring Rangie mechanic (wouldn't guarantee the box but said no reason why it shouldn't be fine), put it in, and there's zero power assistance. No extra noise from the pump as if trying hard, no loose drive belt, no binding column uni's, just no power assistance, as if the pump was disconnected. Now the pump maybe suss but would seem unlikely since it worked so well on the old box. My theory is that the replacement box, having sat idle for the last few years, has a stuck piston or valve or something, and I should maybe start with a fluid cleanout and some Lucas P/S additive. What do we all think? Or maybe should I try to fix the too loose original box, but then I'm not sure if I'm up to that or can justify the expense.
Thanks
Kanoof

81 2-door 600,00+k too old to spend money on, too much a member of the family to let die.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Should be an adjusting bolt to tighten upthe steering box. See attached , may be similar.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
series 2 steeing gear.pdf (1.35 MB, 133 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks Savannah Buzz but I'm talking a Rangie power steering box which is stuck on full ie: waaaay too much power assistance. And the replacement box has none! In both cases I suspect the torsion bar/worm drive cos this seems to be the bit that controls the amount of power assistance.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I mis-understood. Not having documents for that model, if one assumes the problem is too much pressure (stuck valve, etc.) - could that be confirmed by removing the power steering pump belt for a very short test. Flush the fluid that is in the box/PS pump system (maybe the trash will wash out). Just about all of the trucks have an adjustment nut that will tighten up the steering, but that is more for the wheel turns too far to make small changes in vehicle direction.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Flush the fluid that is in the box/PS pump system (maybe the trash will wash out).
Yeah, I reckon the starting point is a fluid flush. Amazing how many things can be repaired by just a good clean!