General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Service Indicator

I've searched and found nothing. I have an '08 RRS SC that I bought Certified Used in December. It had about 48,000 miles on it. I now have a little over 51,000 and the service indicator is reading minus 12 (-12). What does this number represent; 12 days over due? I didn't see anything in the owners manual that was helpful. Is it just saying I need an oil change, which I can do myself of course?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 50k mile service is done on these rigs, so I would assume that is what it is trying to tell you. The 50k service is a lot more than just an oil change. The trans is usually flushed along with the coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, diff oil, transfer case fluid, and the u-joints are greased (that is if they are grease-able). I might be missing a few things though. Your owners manual should tell you what needs to be done. Can't say for sure what the -12 means. The service indicator itself needs to be reset by the dealership computer. If you bring it in for a reset, be sure you have documentation showing the service that was done to it. Otherwise your warranty will be void.

OH, and welcome to the forum!
I have to ask, why the username "Drug Delivery"?

Last edited by LRScott; 04-08-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
4wd Low

The previous service was to be done at 45K so I assume this was complete. I don't have the documentation but it was serviced since new at the dealer I bought it from.

I saw that the indicator was counting down after some time. It only shows this when the key is turned to the number 2 position (power to everything but engine off). The owners manual mentions nothing of this and Google has been no help either.

Originally Posted by LRScott

OH, and welcome to the forum!
I have to ask, why the username "Drug Delivery"?

I'm in the drug delivery business (pharmaceuticals).

Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Technically an oil change is "a service" if the dealer did it, they will have a record of it and it will give you the details. Assuming the 50k service was done is not the way to go, although you are probably right about them already having completed it. If it were me, I would definitely investigate. I'm assuming it is still under warranty. If it is, then have them reset the service indicator. That is really all there is to it. You could ask the dealership what the count down means out of curiosity.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 PM
4wd Low

I called the selling dealer. They didn't really know what the count down meant but it's just a daily counter as each day I drive the vehicle it's down another day....something like minus 30 now. Anyway, I just noticed the other day that the display now actually shows the number of miles till the next service.

I guess the mileage and daily countdown are linked so apparently I'm driving too little each day since I'm past due on days but not on mileage. So, I'm due an oil change in about 550 miles.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

There are 2 service countdowns in the cluster. One is mileage, the other is time. The tech failed to reset the time, just bring it in at your next service by mileage.