General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1999 Disco I cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
key pulse ring was not North American Spec. Believe the alarm/ecu only communicate at certain times to re-mobilize; not constantly.
both correct.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps try the EKA code system. It is also possible (unless your measurements prove otherwise) that door key switch lead is shorted or has a slight ground between key and alarm module. Module not being disarmed.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:47 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever used the All Car Electronics company or Automotive Electronics company over in England to bypass their immobilizer? I found these two companies among a few others and it seems that they do this all of the time to any of the Land Rover immobilizers. Takes them a couple days is all. I emailed All Car Electronics and they acted like it would not be a big deal. Just curious if anyone has used them before. For some reason I can't find anyone in the U.S. to do the job.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM
6th Gear

Well after pulling my hair out I finally drove the car to a local independent shop to see what his diagnostic equipment could find. Like me he found no problem with the harness or power to the ECU or alarm unit. We decided to replace the alarm unit since he thought his equipment could learn the alarm code to the ECU. He attempted to program the alarm/ECU to each other and his equipment reported that it failed. However, after that the car starts every time you need it too, so being cheap and not needing to rely on the vehicle we agreed to take a wait and see approach. So far, so good. I still am of the opinion that the alarm is faulty considering none of the door lock, monitoring LED in the dash, etc. work. I think I will continue to research a repair or bypass of some nature. If I find anything else I will post it. P.S.: The more I drive the car the more I am greatly impressed with it. Can't wait to get it off the road! Thanks all.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Mudding

Another mysterious no start Disco that finally works after you futz with it enough... And once again we'll never know exactly what was wrong..

I have yet to find anyone who "knows" what the heck they're doing in at least this one respect of the vehicle.. Everyone has a different opinion..
According to my Rover dealership, "No North American Spec Land Rover uses EKA codes..."

I guess we need to figure out how to bypass the alarm and immobilizer function completely as far as the ignition/fuel systems go...

John