General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Newbie Questions

1. Say I've got $4000 to spend. Is it better to invest in a early model Disco 1 and use the extra money to fix it up? Or is it better to buy a Disco 2 in better condition without much extra right away for improvements. I keep finding run-down Disco 1's on Craigslist but the 2s are in noticeably better shape for a few grand more.

2. Are parts going to be noticeably more expensive for the 2 than the 1? Someone recommended Car-Part.com as a place to check on prices but I haven't got a particularly good idea of what to expect.

3. Disco 1 vs. Disco 2 for DIY tasks (Maintenance, repairs and so-forth).

Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. The resulting somewhat fixed up D1 will have fewer bells and whistles than a D2. But it will still be a capable on/off road tank.

2. Both vehicles are simple to work on. Parts costs are pretty even in many cases. Places like Atlantic British, BP Utah, and others sell parts on line. Rovers North sells them at somewhat elevated prices.

3. Read thru our tech area and download the RAVE, a set of factory manuals that covers both vehicles. Whatever you buy budget 50% of purchase price for fix up. You will have to DIY or you'll go broke in a hurry.

4. Most vehicles have not had owners that kept up maintenance. Buyer beware, some of that money should go toward a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

disco ones require more labor and cheaper parts in the interior. Disco twos on the other hand require more money less labour. But engine wise disco two is a bit more on some stuff, Actually alot more. But on a disco one you might be needing more parts to start with. The important thing on a disco one is the body rot. if the body is rotted in the fender wells don;t bother. if its not then its a good buy. You can replace alot of stuff or fix it. Its not that cheap. I prefer the disco one over the two.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
disco ones require more labor and cheaper parts in the interior. Disco twos on the other hand require more money less labour. But engine wise disco two is a bit more on some stuff, Actually alot more. But on a disco one you might be needing more parts to start with. The important thing on a disco one is the body rot. if the body is rotted in the fender wells don;t bother. if its not then its a good buy. You can replace alot of stuff or fix it. Its not that cheap. I prefer the disco one over the two.
When you say rot are you talking rust and corrosion? Do you know of any good pictures online that give an example of what I should be steering away from?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All of the common rust spots on the DI are easy to fine, open the front doors, look at the door frame under the hinge, is it rusted?
Then open the back doors, they rust at the wheel wells, thay can all be fixed for pretty cheap at a body shop.
DII engines are pure crap.