General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How I fixed my Land Rover tick (slipped sleeve)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of thought that I could do pull it off in a weekend.
I am still diagnosing to see if it truly is a sleeve that has slipped. I had the heads rebuilt by a shop that I have never used and I think that they might have missed a bad rocker. That is what it sounds like to me. Also, I had talked to a Master Tech here in Charlotte and he is convinced that it is valvetrain and not a slipped sleeve. He listened to it with a stethoscope and it does sound like it is under the valve covers. We are going to open it up next week and see. He also mentioned that I have a Bosch block and that the sleeves in the Bosch block don't slip. I am still doing research on that.
Anyways, I am going to eliminate the valvetrain as a possibility before I consider the sleeves.
Thanks again. I will update when I know.
PJC

Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bosch block, and so does everyone else with a 4.6L in my assumptions. The sleeves will slip and do slip unless it is top-hatted. Honestly, I don't blame you for wanting it to be in the top end. I'm willing to bet it is not. Take a look and let us know what if anything you find.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

my 04 disco makes tick tick tick sound, do you have part number for oil pressure test kit that fits the 04 disco? Also how is the test done performed.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM
4th Gear
Default Ok, no tick at all for me.....

..just a constant coolant loss with no leaks anywhere. The engine has been completely resealed. I was ASSuming that the only other possibility was a slipped sleeve. I can smell coolant and have used leakstop as a "what the hell I have nothing to lose at this point" fix and the coolant consumption stops...for a little while, then comes back. Strange that it does not tick though. Any other ideas guys? Also, it runs rough, after sitting, for the first approximately two minutes and then is smooth, the "service engine soon" light comes on but goes back out after several starts the same day. If it sits for a couple of days the process starts all over again. The spark plugs I just changed(in an effort to make sure they were ok) looked like they were dirty-not clean like a cylinder getting coolant in it.....gotta love these engines....
Scott

Last edited by ltbrkm3; 05-14-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Drifting

ltb,

If you are using coolant and you suspect a sleeve issue, this fix will do nothing. This is meant to stop liners from moving, you would have either a head gasket/head issue or a cracked block behind the sleeve. In this situation, it would continue to leak and your problem would continue to **** you off. I would pull the heads, check the gaskets and pressure test the block. There are you tube vids for pressure testing the block on these engines.

Good luck

Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by rudawski
toad,

Is that 04 Disco ticking or has it not "matured" yet? Mine started at 118k. I think that is the magic number. I have read several threads that start with "I love my 03/04 Disco, but at 120k it started to tick" I don't mean to jinx things for ya if its not!
My 2004 started ticking around 80,000. It only bothers me when I'm in a drive-through, sitting at a light, or when the engine is running. I have found that letting it sit in the driveway for long periods of time will make the tick go away (provided the engine isn't running).

The following users liked this post:
Jlutty3 (12-21-2022)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Razorback Disco
My 2004 started ticking around 80,000. It only bothers me when I'm in a drive-through, sitting at a light, or when the engine is running. I have found that letting it sit in the driveway for long periods of time will make the tick go away (provided the engine isn't running).
Good point

Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

I'm pretty sure mine are slipping. May I please have the shopping list for the pieces I'll need, including gaskets, oil, which set screws, quantity...etc. Thank you in adavance.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you you had any other photos?
Thanks autopartsmike

Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man That was THE BEST post ive read in a long time!!!! great advice and funny as hell....

The following users liked this post:
Jlutty3 (12-21-2022)

Quick Reply: How I fixed my Land Rover tick (slipped sleeve)