LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Replacement

I have a 2009 LR2 that is in need of brake pads, however dealership represents that in Landrover LR2, entire braking system needs to be replaced as if you replace only the pad you will have tremendous squeaking and that the total brake replacement is common to the majority of european manufactured SUVs. I want to make sure that I am not falling for a line of bs. Anyone experienced this issue and if so how did you proceed? Thank you. Julie

Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like you need another shop's opinion. If it was all or none, why would vendors sell separate parts, including the LR parts? See

Front Brake Pads for Land Rover Freelander 2 LR2 3.2 MPI Petrol - LR004936 - 2006

Also attached is pages from the shop manual, detailing how to change pads, which are done as a set (front or back). Nothing about replacing it all.

Now, I've never worked on an LR2 (new Freelander). But unless you have all warped rotors, sticking calipers, worn out pads, leaking fluid lines, leaking master cyclinder, you are not a good candidate for replace it all.

Now should you use factory parts for best fit? That could be true, the cheapest brake pads are not always a bargain.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lr2 brakes.pdf (1,008.1 KB, 4733 views)
Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

agree, they are just trying to get your money.
Consider installing Akebono ceramic pads all the way around and do a complete brake job and you will be fine.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default Brakes

I need new rear brakes at this time and the dealer said I could get rear brakes now and front brakes later when needed. They never said anything about needing to get both front and rear done at the same time. HTH!

Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM
3rd Gear

sorry to ask, but where did you get the service manual for an lr2? i would love to find one.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

Have you ever replaced the pads yourself? My 2008 LR2 is going to be in need of new rear pads soon and I was going to try to replace them myself with new ceramic pads. i'm looking for tips / advice on doing the job. i've never replaced brake pads or rotors before, so i'm a bit nervous about doing it (don't want to screw it up) but would really like to try to tack the job. if anyone can point me in the right direction for assistance, i'd appreciate it.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM
6th Gear

I have a 2011 LR2 with 50k miles and the rear brakes needed replacement. I called the dealer and they said it would be 700.00 for pads, rotors, and hardware. I looked online and I was going to spend 200.00 in parts and do it myself. I saw that someone in another forum had recommended Monroe Muffler. I went there and for 325.00 I got new ceramic pads and rotors. Day 4 and they are still working great. I was happy to see another LR4 there when I pulled in getting brakes.

I find the ceramic pads a bit less grippy which is good as the factory pads and rotors just about put you through the windshield if you hit them hard. I also read that they have less dust and are better in frequent braking with less fad. the conbination of Semimetalic in the front and ceramic in the back seem to work well.

they also had a deal 99.95 for pads only. can't beat it!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jebfisher
I have a 2009 LR2 that is in need of brake pads, however dealership represents that in Landrover LR2, entire braking system needs to be replaced as if you replace only the pad you will have tremendous squeaking and that the total brake replacement is common to the majority of european manufactured SUVs. I want to make sure that I am not falling for a line of bs. Anyone experienced this issue and if so how did you proceed? Thank you. Julie
I have heard the same thing from a few mechanics actually. One of which is a good friend of mine, and works on Land Rovers. He said basically, because these cars are so heavy, that you need to replace the rotors and the pads together. If you don't then there is a very high likelihood that the new pads will outlast the old rotors you put them on, or worse, warp them, and then you'll have to replace the whole system sooner anyway. So his recommendation is to do them all at once. Saves you on an extra pair of pads and labor in the long run.

He is recommending I buy a Brake Rebuild repair kit from Atlantic British.

There are 3 options:
The Standard Rotors and Ferodo Pads
LR2 Brake Rebuild Kits: Brakes For LR2 And Freelander 2

The OEM Land Rover Rotors and Pads
Brake Rebuild Kit - Front & Rear - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

or the uber expensive EBC option:
Brake Rebuild Kit Frt/Rear EBC - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

My question here is, what's the difference? I am 90% sure I don't need the EBC option, but between the other two, does anyone know if it is worth it to go OEM, or just get the standard ones?