LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to owning a Land Rover - with an issue (clunk)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to owning a Land Rover - with an issue (clunk)

Hello all, I used to have a 2000 D2 that I regrettably let go years ago. I now own a 2008 LR3 with 130K on her. I have replaced the DIFF & TX oils, Transmission Filter/OIl with the kit from Atlantic British, front lower control arms, front wheel hub and cv axles.

Issue: there is a clunk coming from down below when I shift into drive and at times when turning at slow speeds and pressing the pedal (as in turning to a side street from a slow roll) - these may be 2 separate issues as I am still trying to replicate / time the turning issue.

Situation: car is in park, engine running, foot on brake. I place the gear into Neutral (N) and then into Drive (D) and I hear a clunk and feel the car want to move forward. While keeping the foot on the brake, I shift into N and feel the car relax/settle with no noise. Move the shifter to Reverse (R) and hear/feel the very slightest clunk (might be my imagination). Then into N for 2-3 seconds, then D and the clunk is there again. If I return to N and then back to D, there is no clunk. This is all repeatable on cue. If I go to D, then N, then D, no noise. If I go to D, then N, release the brake and reapply (after the car slightly moved) and return to D, there is small clunk.

I have just ordered a stethoscope to try and narrow down the location. I have felt and pushed on the drive shafts - no lateral or up/down movement. I can rotate them the slightest amount and feel play - I don't know if this should be there, but it is the slightest amount and seems like it is normal in a gear / tooth environment as both front and rear drive shafts feel the same. I have tested bolts and looked for rubbing/wear marks near bushings (which I am due to replace the upper control arms, sway bar bushings soon) which might be related to the sound when turning...but the standing still and shifting into D with a clunk is the first concern.

There is no whining or grinding at all. No other drive train noise at slow/high speeds. Shifting is smooth when accelerating. The noise seems prevalent when I am at slower speeds and off the pedal and return to pedal pressure (noise happens) not every time though,

All suggestions and comments are welcomed. Glad to be back in a Rover.

Also, when replacing the oils, there were small amounts of metal on the magnetic bolts, no chunks of metal, just fine shavings.

Thank you all,
Trevor

Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Some fine shaving are normal when you change fluids - don't worry about that.

About the clunk:

Did you do the work yourself? Can you read codes (IIDtool)?
You'll need to re-check each and every bolt you touched and item you swapped.

Any chance part of the install isn't seated 100%? You did change quite a few items that can each cause that kind of noise.
Any chance you bumped the shift mechanism on the side of the trans?

Old 11-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

....wondering if it's related to the transmission pawl.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Check your rear upper arms. They go bad. Just found out both of mine are shot at the bushings on the inside (at frame). What you describe though certainly sounds like a driveshaft issue as I have the exact same issues and my center support is shot. Did you check it at the center? The support is hidden by one easy to remove heat shield.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk when shifting into Drive

Douglastic:

Yes I did the work. Not all at once. Over the course of 6 months or so. All bolts have been checked.
I do not have the code reader.
It is a huge possibility that I could have bumped the shift mechanism – I will crawl under there tonight and have a better look at it.

Dakota Travler

The rear gear is on my next list to do as well, although last night when I was under the car and someone was in the drivers seat manipulating the gears for me, the sound was coming from the center/front of the car.
I will have a look at the center support area.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Try shifting the t case from hi to lo while in neutral to rule out transfer case.