LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best code reading tool to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016 | 02:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Bwahahahaha....

Nice hands, "girl."

Old 07-24-2016 | 10:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Default guys and girls

Meanwhile I have learned of another place the air system can create problems. I did not know the silencer bits of the air system existed as a separate assembly.

This demonstrates that I do not know very much yet. I thought that plastic can stuff and hoses was fuel tank emissions related and not a part of the air system. The 3 is not a simple vehicle and that is the real problem; it can lead to frustration, as is evident.

The air silencer internally is apparently an area where clogged vent codes can be generated.

Code readers, regardless of type are only part of the solution. Forums and their participants are better at solving problems than any code reader.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...s-79791/page3/

Old 07-24-2016 | 11:27 AM
Winching

I haven't investigated it yet, but when I got the pre inspection done at the dealer, they mentioned something about my air exhaust was loud and modified somehow. I wonder if the previous owner eliminated the air silencer mech and just vented to atmosphere? It is noticeable loud when depressurizing the bags, how loud is it on a "normal" system? Can you hear the air exhausting from 30' away?

Old 07-24-2016 | 03:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Default very quiet

Sitting in the drivers seat with the windows up and engine idling, I do not hear any compressor operation noise or air moving noises.

With the window rolled down, I can hear when the compressor is running - not loud but there is a noise. Then when the compressor shuts off and unloads, there is the "fart" noise which is audible, but not like what you hear from a bus or Kenworth type vehicle.

As to your question of when the air exits the airsprings and the vehicle lowers from offroad to normal, or normal to entry/exit level, the process is what I could call fast and silent. Even with the windows down, I do not hear anything.

In other words, when standing just outside the vehicle, and the suspension drops, one does not hear anything, and it is fast.

That also applies engine off, and is why when working under the vehicle or fooling with the wheels, one must have axle jacks under the frame supporting all.

Old 07-24-2016 | 08:36 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EastCoast
I haven't investigated it yet, but when I got the pre inspection done at the dealer, they mentioned something about my air exhaust was loud and modified somehow. I wonder if the previous owner eliminated the air silencer mech and just vented to atmosphere? It is noticeable loud when depressurizing the bags, how loud is it on a "normal" system? Can you hear the air exhausting from 30' away?
You should not hear noise especially 30' away.

Old 07-24-2016 | 08:49 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bbyer
Meanwhile I have learned of another place the air system can create problems. I did not know the silencer bits of the air system existed as a separate assembly.

This demonstrates that I do not know very much yet. I thought that plastic can stuff and hoses was fuel tank emissions related and not a part of the air system. The 3 is not a simple vehicle and that is the real problem; it can lead to frustration, as is evident.

The air silencer internally is apparently an area where clogged vent codes can be generated.

Code readers, regardless of type are only part of the solution. Forums and their participants are better at solving problems than any code reader.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...s-79791/page3/
I agree LR3 can be complicated
Im learning that Code C1A13 can mean many things:
from clogged lines to Module failure due to the old dessicant from compressor traveling through the system...and the cost involved to find out and fix can be frasturating.
Reading past experiences from members we can learn a great deal about these Rovers.
I surely benefited from this forum and I do appreciate it.
Keep posting guys

Last edited by Roverrrgirl; 07-24-2016 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bbyer (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016 | 10:02 PM
Winching

That's exactly what the previous owner did then, was "modify" the exhaust routing, probably just disconnected and vented to air... won't know till I get a chance to check it out.

Not annoying though, just distinct...

Old 07-24-2016 | 10:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Default hoses are probably just cut

I suspect you are correct. I bet the plastic can is still there along with most of the hoses and they were just cut.

Let us know what you find out - this is getting interesting.

Old 07-24-2016 | 11:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EastCoast
That's exactly what the previous owner did then, was "modify" the exhaust routing, probably just disconnected and vented to air... won't know till I get a chance to check it out.

Not annoying though, just distinct...
Originally Posted by bbyer
I suspect you are correct. I bet the plastic can is still there along with most of the hoses and they were just cut.

Let us know what you find out - this is getting interesting.
I need to get under mine and take a closer look at the exhaust line. It recently got loud so I suspect the line has failed somewhere after the compressor and before the interior 'muffler'. A cursory listen sounds like it's somewhere aft of the rear tire but I haven't gotten brave/stupid/energetic enough to crawl under it when dropping from off-road to normal height to track down the noise.

Doesn't help that it's been over 100 the last couple days. Even crawling on the driveway is a no-no as the concrete will burn your hands.