LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Blade broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad you got it sorted with no real failures. Annoying, but not so bad in the big picture.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by delormea397
Abran, I greatly appreciate the offer. I'm in Canada though...
I have CAA, so I got a "free" tow to my local independant LR shop and had it programmed. This solved the problem. It seems that even though I had the old key held close enough and in the right position, it was so low on battery that it would not disable the immobolizer. The red alarm light stayed flashing regardless.

I was under the impression the immobolizer would still allow the engine to turn over momentarily. To anyone reading this in the future, that is not the case. My relay clicked but nothing else happened.
Good information. Thanks. So, what you're saying is that you can get stranded in the middle of nowhere with no hope of starting your car simply due to the fact that your key battery gives up the ghost? Nice...

Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Not really sure how the key battery got into the equation.

When people drive their car to me I have a signal receiver tool to confirm that their battery is indeed dead as its not transmitting a signal instead of a vehicle problem. Then I swap the battery.

I even had a guy come and I butchered his circuit board so bad that I was not able to solder a new battery to it but the immobilizer chip still worked.

My point is, until proven otherwise I believe the immobilizer chip works independent of the remote battery.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I agree. I had a FOB lose its battery and would not unlock the doors....but it would still start the car.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Not really sure how the key battery got into the equation.

When people drive their car to me I have a signal receiver tool to confirm that their battery is indeed dead as its not transmitting a signal instead of a vehicle problem. Then I swap the battery.

I even had a guy come and I butchered his circuit board so bad that I was not able to solder a new battery to it but the immobilizer chip still worked.

My point is, until proven otherwise I believe the immobilizer chip works independent of the remote battery.
Ah... we're talking car battery here? I was under the impression that it may have been low, but certainly not completely dead. That makes a lot more sense though...