LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Replaced Valve Body Solenoids......Won't Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 04:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
What a pain! Glad I could sorta guide you into the right direction but you ultimately found the issue. I was hoping it was an external adjustment. But, you found the problem and got it done. I am sure this will help others in the future.
X3+, Always great to see a resolution published! Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Old 03-11-2021, 02:26 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

How did you fix the issue where the replacement solenoids defective?

The following users liked this post:
StaxxBundles1 (02-09-2023)
Old 06-10-2021, 02:00 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much for posting this fix.
I am close to swapping out the solenoids and this is a great reminder to pay attention to the instructions to the T.
Removing the value body makes me a bit nervous.

This trans is also used in some BMWs and there are some detailed videos on YouTube on the process.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover sport hse 2008

Originally Posted by scorpion
Thanks so much for posting this fix.
I am close to swapping out the solenoids and this is a great reminder to pay attention to the instructions to the T.
Removing the value body makes me a bit nervous.

This trans is also used in some BMWs and there are some detailed videos on YouTube on the process.
I replaced valve solenoids and did the whole procedure n now I don’t have PRND on the display . Is there any way I could have put the valve sleeve in upside down or does it only fit one way or can it be installed wrong?

Old 02-09-2023, 06:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by StaxxBundles1
I replaced valve solenoids and did the whole procedure n now I don’t have PRND on the display . Is there any way I could have put the valve sleeve in upside down or does it only fit one way or can it be installed wrong?
You likely didn't engage the lever into the slider correctly.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I noticed that the dash indicated that the car was in D, but the shifter was still in park.....? I could not get the car to shift either out of park, and turning the key did nothing for me. The big fat error code of E was gone, but the car would not crank. I implemented the gear shift manual shifter through the side of the shifter and was able to slide the shifter through the gears. I went up and down the shifter column about three times, and stopped at N (nuetral) and wallah, I saw the "D" disappear from the dash, and feverishly began to turn the key........Virrrrrooooommm!! I am in business
So I had this precise problem a few months back. In my case a grounding wire in the TCM plug was loose, 99% a flaw from the factory and when I serviced my transmission the connection became worse. My TCM was getting an intermittent ground which caused a transmission fault and later the shift lever to be out of sync with the position sensor. So when I tried to start the car it would not start. Eventually we noticed the 4x4 info screen showed the car in N or D while the dash showed Park. Once I used the Park bypass (thinking it would need to be towed) and shifted to N, I was able to start the car and drive home.

It took me a long time (and a lot of help) to find the issue, but it was a relatively simple fix. I didn’t have the right tools to repin the connector so I sent it to a LR mechanic who had seen similar issues before.