LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple LR3 Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Well....last month I joined the cadre of lunatics that bought a 2nd LR3. I am going to leave this one stock and use it for various camping trips and mild off-road adventures, while it also serves as my wife's DD when she needs to haul stuff or just....whenever she wants, really.

I didn't want another black one, but this thing was very well sorted mechanically despite the high mileage (186,000) so I had to jump on it. So far I have:

Fixed the water ingress issue
Had the T-case, front diff, and rear diff fluids changed
Swapped the coolant bleeder for a brass one
Swapped the front diff breather valve for the newer/larger one

I think that's a pretty good punch list so far! Not sure what I might do next, if anything. I don't know if the tranny fluid was ever done. Not sure I want to do that since the tranny is currently happy, but maybe just draining and filling the fluid would be a good idea.

EH- you went Kamehameha??? My brother in law is 1979 grad- @ the reunion all last week! We grew up in Hawaii Kai!!! Are you in Wa.?

Old 06-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Aloha...

My wife graduated from Kamehameha...1992. We live north of Seattle...but her Auntie still lives in Hawaii-Kai. Good eye!!

Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Houm_wa,

First off, Hello and sorry to hijack your thread.

I was wondering if you could clarify a few thinks on you original post please.
1. by water ingress, are you referring to the leaky sunroof drain/a pillar?
2. could you go into more detail about the swapping of the coolant bleeder/part number?
3. could you go into more detail about the swapping out the larger diff breather valve/part number?
Not to sound ignorant but I understand the concept and of a better brass bleeder and larger vent tube on the diff just wondering if its one of those common knowledge things that needs to be rectified when buying an LR3.

I have 2006 4.4l LR3 SE (146,000 current). I've had for a bit over a year. Upon purchasing it I took it to a local Indie for a good look over with the knowledge I had expected on doing most of the work myself. They produced a list of about 10k worth of work. Of which was mostly fluid changes. I'm in the process of replacing stabilizer bar bushings and links, tie rods and tie rod ends.
Out side of that I have proud rhino lift rods, pathfinder 275/70R18's and of course my GAP tool. What came with it is the LR air breather/snorkel (whatever you want to call it, I do not like referring to it a snorkel for people think you can go up to the tip of it under water like its a submersible, HA HA, NO!!),
I digress though, it also came with the AMK compressor dated 2014, I'm assuming the sunroof drains have been corrected for two reasons. One they drain properly and two the passenger floor carpet has been removed though I was told it was due to the "snorkel" install, but I know better. It was a two owner and the original owner kept good records the second not so much but I got it at a good deal and its in great shape, I absolutely love it. (former jeep guy for a decade and a half, so I feel I upgraded, SHHHH!! Don't tell anyone please)

@ HOME

@ UWHARRIE, NC

Anyways any info would be phenomenal or links to where its located.
also could someone link to the inner fender trimming, if there is one please!

Thanks