LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Oil leak after replacing oil cooler gasket (twice)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Oil leak after replacing oil cooler gasket (twice)

Alight, I've got a bugger of a problem and no solution. 2005 LR3, SE here.
I'm weeping oil from the OIl cooler gasket; the figure 8 seal between the block and oil filter housing thing. The gasket has been replaced twice and still weeps oil between the two mating surfaces. The first time; I figured I had a bad gasket or dirt / hair between the o-ring and was extra careful to clean the two mating surfaces, use a new factory seal, and spread Hylomar around the mating surfaces to make extra sure.
After that, I'm still weeping drops of oil from this area. Not bad, but enough to leave drops on the drive way so something isn't up. Two questions:

1) Is there something special about how this gasket gets applied? Did I somehow muff-up joining the two parts? (I did all the obvious steps; cleaning the two surfaces, torqueing the screws appropriately, etc)
2) Could oil be weeping somewhere near this area and dripping around the oil filter housing making it look like its the gasket to blame? (couldn't see any obvious signs of other leaks around the area after taking off the filter housing, so likely not the case?)

Nevermind that the surface is blue here; that was just an attempt to trace and see if the oil was weeping from the surface or dripping from above it / around it.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

When I was a tech I was taught that if it is a rubber "o-ring" type seal that you shouldn't use any sort of extra sealant with it unless specified in the OE repair directions. Following that rule has worked well for me for the 15-ish years I worked as a BMW tech. If I'm having an issue keeping the seal in place during assembly a little silicone grease is ok. The number of times I saw customer cars come in with "new" gaskets leaking installed with some sort of extra sealant was pretty high. My other suggestion would be to lightly sand each half with some fine sandpaper if possible just in case you have a slightly warped mating surface.