LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What service should i do next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What service should i do next?

Hey guys,
I have a 2006 land rover lr3 v6. I have 44,000 miles on it. Taking it into the dealer for an oil change in a couple of days. I was wondering, i have only got standard oil changes done. Should i get any other services or am i ok? As you can see from the miles its not my regular driver. I bought her at 27,500 miles in February 2008. The service guy was telling me a bunch of stuff like hot oil engine flushes, performance flush etc. For like $800. They got a promotion on for $77.95 - PERFORM ULTRA SUPREME ENGINE HOT OIL FLUSH. Realisticly, with my low mileage i drive it, a standard oil change, am i fine? do i need to get these extra things done? Also it says to get a oil change every 7500 miles or sixth months, i don't do that, hell i don'tdo that many in a year! Is once a year ok?
I thank you for your expertise. I'm in Vancouver BC, but trucks from california, thats why its in miles.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regular oil change is fine. I don't even know what a 'supreme hot oil engine flush' entails. Do they give any info on what they use or how it works? And is that $78 in addition to the oil change? It's not going to hurt anything and is probably a good thing to do to a dirty/higher mileage car, but I just think its probably unnecessary for your vehicle.

Does your LR3 sit unused for extended periods of time? Do you take a trips where it runs continuously for 20-30 minutes? If you're not already, you should try for a weekly ride where you get up to operating temperature and keep it there for a while. Burn off some moisture, heat up all fluids, circulate through filters, charge battery, etc.

You'd probably be better off with differential fluid drain and fills, a radiator drain, flush and fill (especially if it hasn't been done in the last 6 years), maybe transfer case fluid drain and fill. Did your front diff get the breather replacement TSB repair? See my oil change thread for details. Very simple.

Even with low miles, after 6 years some general maintenance should be under taken as fluids (and grease) breakdown/oxidize/dry out over time.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, how mechanical are you? You could do most of this yourself and save considerable amounts of cash. I also have a 2006 V6 and posted pics and write ups of some basic service here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...592#post352592

Not very hard at all and it's good to learn more about your truck.

And if you want to do an engine flush yourself, you can do that too (but it can be messy). Search at round the forum and you'll see people have done it multiple different ways with good success.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the response. its an additional $78. Truck gets used ever day or second day and at least once a week i take a hour trip to bellingham wa or somewhere. I'm thinking of the hot oil flush. I know i got the antifreeze flushed if i not mistaken. thanks for the greatinfo, and i'll take a look at ur thread.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is the scheduled service for your truck, from the factory shop manual.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
maintenance schedules.pdf (544.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Three Wheeling

There's no such thing as a hot engine hot oil flush. Think about it. Does that even make sense? You run your engine to make the oil hot so that it thoroughly drains out of the vehicle.
If that dealer is putting an additive in your oil to remove sludge, that's another story, and $78 for a $3.00 can of engine flush is obscene.
I'm new to Rover ownership, but I am amazed what the dealers get for simple maintenance that anyone who is even a little competent can perform.
The dealers are no different brand to brand. There are a few honest ones, but none of them seem to be Rover dealers.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

"engine flush" should renamed to better describe its purpose: WALLET FLUSH.
Total gimmick and waste of money.

If you are using QUALITY oil and changing it regularly, there is nothing to flush that a normal oil service won't remove.

If the inside of the engine is sludged, you need more than an engine flush. Actually, an engine flush will probably make the situation worse. I had a Volvo S60 show up one day that was "flushed" and it had no oil pressure because the stuff it did knock loose, clogged the pickup tube. This wonderful "service" cost the customer the price to remove the oil pan and almost cost them a motor.