New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 1st Downshift issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a lot of searching, and this procedure pops on on BMW, Range Rover, and Jaguar forums, as these cars use the same ZF transmission:
  1. Turn on the ignition: push the start button (do not start the engine)
  2. All the dash lights will turn on.
  3. Now, press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and keep it pressed. (Ensure the kick down switch is pressed )
  4. Keep the gas pedal pressed for 30 seconds. (During this procedure engine should be off, ignition still on.)
  5. Release the gas pedal.
  6. Start the car and drive normally.
There's some disagreement on whether to release the pedal first and then turn off the ignition, or whether to turn off the ignition first. You can experiment and report your findings. I'm not convinced it does anything, but I'm curious to hear if others will notice a change in behavior.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BritCars
What's the pull away from stationary like? I haven't felt the 2 to 1 lurch in mine. But we do notice when pulling away that there can be a second or more hesitation when we put foot down before it moves. Once moving it's responsive but that initial pull away needs us to push quite far on the pedal. And if we push too hard then it tends to jump forward...
Having it looked at next week. Wondering if others have felt this in case we are told it's normal
This is exactly what we are all talking about.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Drifting

I drove the D5 in stop-and-go traffic today for nearly an hour. It is clearly an issue at 10 mph and under. Over 10 mph and the gears would stay engaged and the car responds exactly how one would expect. Right about 10 mph and under, it has a lag before it decides it is going to respond. The delay in response gives the driver the perception that the go pedal hasn't been pressed enough and then when the delay catches up the car lurches forward, depending on how hard you pressed.

To replicate:
1. Drive to a speed over 15 mph
2. Slow to under 10 mph with foot off go pedal
3. Step on go pedal again
4. ...

Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleRain
This is exactly what we are all talking about.
Thanks. I hadn't noticed it while moving - just from stationary. But my wife drives it more than me. I'll try it out
The issue at stationary is quite pronounced. Even my wife who isn't at all a car person noticed it and thinks it's terrible

It's going in next week for a couple of ****les and they are going to check this out too