2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D90/110 headlight covers....Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 10:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Last winter, living in a hole during COVID, I was totally unaware of the Defender's release. As soon as I heard they were, I pinged my local Dealer and almost immediately ordered one. Then I started researching. I saw this REALLY cool towing hitch that recessed into the truck. It wasn't until I got it that I realized that those videos were from a non-USA spec. Who knows what other features I imagine that I have, but don't. In so many ways, the Defender is the "least common denominator" for so many countries' regulations. It surprises me when there are actually some options/standards that aren't universal. Roo bars, matrix lights, I'm sure I'm missing others.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I think the light covers look really sharp. No question. I'm just a bit skeptical about their efficacy. A lot of unprotected real estate over the lights remain.

Not to be a nay-sayer but a more traditional look, while not as sleek perhaps, would protect the lights more.

Just reminds me of

Old 11-16-2021, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Yes, I did. I'll try to look up some photos. I think I must have been the first consumer to purchase one because I went back & forth with them on how to install. It wasn't obvious and when you start drilling into your Defender, you only want to do it once. I'll find some photos and post them soon.

The tips I would give (I think they now have instructions posted on their "support" page):
- Make sure that they are the right side up/down. I had no problems, but I checked a LOT.
- Use masking tape to mark 2" up from the bottom of the light. It was a PITA to get that right, but you only get one shot, so make sure it happens.
- The covers are slightly curved, but not quite enough. You will have to curve them more, but DON'T before installing. They aren't hugely beefy so they will bend. I figure they will take the force of a bird strike at highway speeds but won't prevent a limb from taking out the light. I have AU roo-bars so I think I'm now covered either way. Reality is, I installed them 'cause I thought they were cool.
- I used a silver/gray sharpie and marked the holes to drill. I aligned the left side of the guard and put the hole in the center of the black trim and then moved it to do the right. The guards are slightly long at this point.
- I then drilled four small holes in the black trim. I think they will be easy to mask/cover up if I wanted to remove it. Forgot the hole size, but make sure they are equal to the shaft size of the screws, not the outside fins/wings. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you hire this job out.
- I then secured the more vertical side of the guards with the screws. I think it's the in-board side. Then you flex the guard slightly to secure the other side. It bulges out more due to this. Otherwise, you'll have to drill two of the holes into the quarter/side panel of the vehicle and not the trim. I talked to Lucky8 and this is the planned, correct way to do it.
- They warn not to drill too far in or you will hit the lights. That's really a LONG ways away. I put take on the drill to make sure that I didn't go beyond the screw length, but was safe. One one side of the trim, it bumps into the aluminum body panel. I did NOT drill into that, but stopped when I hit resistance. The black trim is actually plastic.

Good luck!

EDIT: Pics - Not great lighting, but you get the idea.

Left lens

Close up of right lens.
What Brush Guard is that? Trying to get one for my '90 but the OEM ones seem to be only available in SA or Au.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Totally hear what you are saying @GavinC - I personally was hoping for an OEM solution along the lines of what I had on my two previous RR Sports - more coverage. But, with the Lucky8 lamp guards and Expel PPF on the lamp housing, I fell pretty good about the protection (and appearance).

Old 11-16-2021, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig_RRS2013
Totally hear what you are saying @GavinC - I personally was hoping for an OEM solution along the lines of what I had on my two previous RR Sports - more coverage. But, with the Lucky8 lamp guards and Expel PPF on the lamp housing, I fell pretty good about the protection (and appearance).
You need to field test it. Chase some geese with your trophy. Also can we get a full size image of your avatar? Some bassassery afoot methinks.

The following users liked this post:
Craig_RRS2013 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Royalist - Yes, those are the AU roo-bars. Got them from New Defender Mods. They used to be readily available and then the supplies got scant. They had a "sign up for when they get in" that I signed up on. I got an e-mail at 4:00am and within 15 minutes I ordered. They only had 5 that they sold across the globe so I knew they wouldn't last long. If interested, you need to get ready for a wait and move FAST if you get a notice. Hopefully their supplies have started to get better, but I doubt it.

I tried to network to folks I know in / from South Africa and had much less success there. I wanted to kick myself for not ordering while I waited for my truck, but even back in the spring it was sketchy if/when it would arrive and I didn't want to risk it. On hindsight, I could definitely get my money out of them so it wasn't really a risk. Once you have them in-states, I doubt it would be hard to off-load them nor would it be at a loss.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

@GavinC - lol, I don't plan on "looking" for trouble. The avatar pic is from the Trophy Competition I competed in recently in North Carolina, great time. Posted some pics and video here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/4x...lle-nc-108558/

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (11-17-2021)