2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021 | 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling

I appreciate everyone else sorting this out, fortunately it isn't horrible for me, it's subtle so I can live with mine for a while. Eventually they'll have it nailed down I'm sure. For my 90 I've had it happen since day one at highway speeds. For me it's just a subtle sound for example like a network cable would make if you shake it slightly while it's inside of a plastic network cable run. If any of you work in IT like me you'll get that. panduit / conduit. For me the seat clicking that developed after maybe two months of ownership is my bigger issue, I probably won't be able to wait much longer to get that done, hear that almost every time I brake or hit the gas from a stop

Old 11-09-2021 | 05:47 PM
Overlanding

@woo90

I found out that the body flex noise you are talking about is due to the weather-stripping around all the power windows being to dry. They stick to the metal of the frame at certain temperatures and when the body flex's it causes the creaking sound. I resolved this issue by applying 303 Rubber Seal Protectant to all the weather stripping (inside and out). The noise is completely gone now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dmedenas:
Elektrapops (11-11-2021), SpyHop (08-02-2023)
Old 08-03-2022 | 05:59 PM
2nd Gear
Default Sand sifting sound

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender
MNDefender - ^^^ thanks. Did your’s also sound like sifting sand coming from the top of the windshield/rear view mirror area?
Not sure if anyone is still having this problem, but I just bought a 2020 Defender and about 60 mph I have a sound coming from where the windshield meets the headliner and sounds like sand hitting the windshield. It’s definitely speed related, no sounds under 60mph or very slight. Anyone know of a fix? If I can’t fix this, I’m driving it off a bridge to see if my cool snorkel works.

Old 08-03-2022 | 06:39 PM
Drifting

It sounds exactly like sand hitting the windscreen.

Dealers now seem to have the service bulletin on this item and can fix it appropriately - unless you are Land Rover West Houston or Land Rover Central Houston - both Houston area dealers. Their service departments are beyond dismal and Land Rover Central Houston had mine for almost two weeks while it sat there 90% of the time awaiting the fix.

Hopefully, you will have better luck.

The following users liked this post:
Michael9207 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022 | 06:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael9207
Not sure if anyone is still having this problem, but I just bought a 2020 Defender and about 60 mph I have a sound coming from where the windshield meets the headliner and sounds like sand hitting the windshield. It’s definitely speed related, no sounds under 60mph or very slight. Anyone know of a fix? If I can’t fix this, I’m driving it off a bridge to see if my cool snorkel works.
I thought my noise was coming from the top of the windshield but it was the a pillar weatherstrip flapping in the wind. The 1/8 inch of adhesive foam fixed the sand noise for me. I just peeled off the adhesive and stuck it under the weatherstrip. No need to take off the A pillar…

The following 2 users liked this post by Gator42:
GreyDoc2020 (01-15-2023), Michael9207 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022 | 07:09 PM
Rock Crawling

The fact that it has taken this long for JLR to figure out the issue when it has been called out as pervasive since the 2020 model year launch says a whole lot unfortunately. Whatever their processes are there must be some major disconnects and holes in them, very siloed operation comes to mind, maybe it's just the UK to India to Slovakia, too many cooks in the kitchen. Is QA in any of the three or is QA in yet another region altogether? This is essentially a structure / trim issue that should've been nailed down in a week or two as far as what the root cause is and then no more than 90 days for a solid fix. This isn't an engine defect. I guess maybe we can give a six month pass for covid initially, like maybe key people were out for a while but at this point excuses should be really hard to come by.

Last edited by Chief65; 08-03-2022 at 07:11 PM.
GreyDoc2020 (01-15-2023)
Old 08-03-2022 | 08:06 PM
Drifting

I had a sound that was similar but it turned out to be the driver's upper hand-hold that swivels down had a loose screw. Try swiveling it down and pulling to see if your noise goes away.

Michael9207 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-04-2022 | 02:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender View Post
MNDefender - ^^^ thanks. Did your’s also sound like sifting sand coming from the top of the windshield/rear view mirror area?

Yes, this is exactly the sound I have heard three times, each before the driver's side cover came free entirely -- anywhere between 2 days and one week from when the noise started.

Presently, I remain waiting for my dealer to source a fresh, brand-new, under-piece (the part which clips and is taped to the vehicle) so they may again attempt to execute the written instructions (which I made sure they had and understood last time) in a manner they are comfortable will be successful. Yes, they used goop also.

Last time, they did not even let it stay on the vehicle; they just said they were not happy and removed their work themselves and told me they were ordering a brand new piece. They seem to not believe the instructions either.

I am going to go one more round with this, and then I will modify the under piece which is sliding around in the back of the Defender with mechanical attachments of one form or another -- as I am convinced the factory design is clearly "on the margin".

Enough already ...

Enjoy !

Old 08-05-2022 | 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling

There's another thread on this.. I think it contains "state of the art" in the title.

The short version -- LR now has a fix that completely solves this problem. There's a few new parts (including a new A-pillar that they have to paint to match). I had mine done a few months ago, and several thousand miles later I've completely forgotten about it (except for when I see these threads on LRForums )

Ed

Chief65 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022 | 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
There's another thread on this.. I think it contains "state of the art" in the title.

The short version -- LR now has a fix that completely solves this problem. There's a few new parts (including a new A-pillar that they have to paint to match). I had mine done a few months ago, and several thousand miles later I've completely forgotten about it (except for when I see these threads on LRForums )

Ed
Thanks I'll file away that service bulletin for future reference. Sadly it's now only about the fourth worst problem that I'd really like to have fixed. In the beginning it was #1 but in the beginning there was no fix, it was just a minor annoyance and I had no other problems to report. Since then I've put 17k miles on mine in the 13 or so months I've owned it. I think the odds of the next owner having this vehicle completely fixed of all issues before the factory warranty runs out aren't very good tbh. Problems obtaining parts, weeks of lead time to get service appointments, issues with seats that are noted by the dealership but go unresolved, issues with stalling that don't log a code so no way to troubleshoot, again unresolved. There's not a prayer IMO that this will ever be problem free in the next 33k miles, it would have to be brought in monthly and that's if nothing else goes wrong on top of it, like my headlight issue now, things just keep adding up. I'm very happy for the folks who have no issues but I think at the end of the day you guys largely have many of the same parts that I do and that shouldn't give anyone a warm fuzzy feeling.

Last edited by Chief65; 08-05-2022 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed