Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You probably don't have any more. They are deleted when you pull out the paperclip.

The sensors are on the top of the swivel ball. You will see the thick wire going into the top. Take a screwdriver and lightly tap the sensor back down, it is in a rubber bushing.

The light should extinguish after driving a few feet after you re-seat the sensors. If it stays on, read the codes again.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Above this? And do these look new to you? I didn't expect mine to look so shiny haha

Is this it?

Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okdiscoguy,

When you say tap the sensor back down, how far down is down? Should the mushroom cap on the sensor be completely seated flush?

Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Three Wheeling

I ask because I've had the ABS light on for a while. I still have slight ABS functions, however I never got the paper clip thing to work on my 98 disco, and both front sensors stick up about an inch from fully seated.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Camel Trophy

It goes in from the top. The front thing is your brake line, the smaller one is to the ABS sensor. I tried to take a pic, but just had the phone....

The swivels should be shiny. Yours are really dirty too...

Attached Thumbnails ABS = annoying..yeah-abs.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy

jrock - What were the codes that flashed when you did the paper clip thing?

The sensors will go down until they touch the exciter ring and then adjust themselves back. The fronts are in from the top, the rears are in from the sides...

Taking the wheel off makes this a ton easier. I din't have a lower valvnce, so I can go in from the front, but they are tricky to get to with the wheel on..

Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I could never get the ABS flash to work, (pulled every relay and couldn't do it.)

I had the ABS light on ever since one of my front Calipers frozeup. I pulled the sensors out (only) at the front wheels when I installed new calipers. However I never took note to the position before I pulled them. And when I reinstalled I could never get them to reset all the way back down flush.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy

on a 98 all you have to do is ground pins 5 and 15 together with the key on. No relays to pull. BOOM! (as you run to the driveway with a paperclip)

When the sensors are pulled you should use a new rubber bushing (I have been told).... never pulled one myself..

Old 12-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling

d'uh, Good reason It never worked---Mother F#@*^r!!!

I'm running--- I think I can hear the carton sounds and the cloud of dust is following! THX I'll check this shortly.....

Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jrock
I could never get the ABS flash to work, (pulled every relay and couldn't do it.)

I had the ABS light on ever since one of my front Calipers frozeup. I pulled the sensors out (only) at the front wheels when I installed new calipers. However I never took note to the position before I pulled them. And when I reinstalled I could never get them to reset all the way back down flush.
Well, it wont seat properly because it sits in one of these:

which is the springy bushing thing (I think it is called a railco bushing) that holds the sensor in and also grounds it to the upper swivel pin/swivel ball as well. You are supposed to replace it every time you remove the sensor. They are a pain to get out of the swivel pin, and it is virtually impossible to get it out without mangling it, hence the replacement requirement.

I'll bet it is a tiny copper pancake now down inside your swivel pin. You might get lucky and somehow be able to reuse it, if you can get it out without destroying it. I seriously doubt that you could get the sensor back in with the bushing still stuck in the swivel pin.

They are like $10 from DAP, I bought a handful cause I make mistakes and also they are fun to play with, they make good finger foolers to keep me from killing my coworkers during long meetings.

Good luck

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah