Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

On a DI the ABS light goes out once you reach 5mph as long as everything is working correctly.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well this is what I did, took forever to figure out because well.. just because.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING
I went under the passenger kick panel.

Pull the leather thing down (should be held with little black plastic pins)

Using a 13mm socket unscrew the metal bracket on your right hand side (only 1, should pull down afterwards)

I grabbed the green relay that was NOT attached to the metal thing. (don't pull it yet)

NOW HERE COMES WHAT TO DO

Turn the key to position 2

Pull the relay (I guess you don't have to, but this is also for other people )

Insert the paperclip to the terminals that have the black and black/pink wires in it

Wait for the codes. (Your ABS should go out then on then out and on..etc)

After you get the code (just look for the quick flashes and count, pause, count them) Pull the paperclip and wait for the ABS light to just stay on

Turn the key to position 1 then 2

(repeat)

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Pro Wrench

I tapped the sensor, I think, but the light is still on. I don't know how to fix a 3-08.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
I tapped the sensor, I think, but the light is still on. I don't know how to fix a 3-08.
3-8 is I believe an electrical fault, I would start with checking all connections to the modulator, the ECU, and the relay. Corrosion could be a culprit, unfortunately I can't tell you what will happen if you get it to work and then it trips the code again, you could lose your brakes while driving.

code reads as:3-8 The ECU connection or wiring to inlet, isolating, hydraulic modulator solenoid valve.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Pro Wrench

AH geez.. I finally figure out how to do the blink method and then it just means it could go wrong again. Forget it, out goes the fuse tmr. It will take care of the light also right? That's the most annoying thing because it's the only light besides SRS..

Old 12-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by calebbo
AH geez.. I finally figure out how to do the blink method and then it just means it could go wrong again. Forget it, out goes the fuse tmr. It will take care of the light also right? That's the most annoying thing because it's the only light besides SRS..
no the bulb has to come out, but it really is easy. 2 screws at between the steering column and the cluster, then there is just a catch/clip thing holding it down in the back. if you want to pull the cluster out there are 2 screws on each side but I think you can pull the bulb and holder. I will point out one thing though, if you drive in a mountainous or hilly area and you don't replace the bulb holder you could get sunlight shining through at certain angles that will make it look like your light is on.

so do you know why your SRS light is on?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Disco1 ABS procedure!!!

Okdiscoguy.... Nice work, I finally got the blink method working on my 98 disco!!! so heres the outcome...2-14 was the code. which to my understanding is a sensor issue. however it doesn't state what side or wheel. any thoughts?

I will however take the advise and order some new brushes and give that a try on both the front wheels and see how it goes. thanks everyone and I didn't mean to tag onto this thread.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Further more I just read one your other post about "ABS Light" and u state that 2-14 is the left front.

thanks again, i guess this is another task that i can move UP on the list of things to work on!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Jrock
Okdiscoguy.... Nice work, I finally got the blink method working on my 98 disco!!! so heres the outcome...2-14 was the code. which to my understanding is a sensor issue. however it doesn't state what side or wheel. any thoughts?

I will however take the advise and order some new brushes and give that a try on both the front wheels and see how it goes. thanks everyone and I didn't mean to tag onto this thread.
for what it's worth I got the same code (I think mine was front right though) I pulled the sensor and cleaned it up, got it reseated and working good, then my ABS failed and left me without brakes 2 days later. If the sensor is bad a new one is around $300 (someone said they found a whole set on ebay for $40, I doubt you can find that and if you could I don't know as though I would recommend it)

Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by geek_IM
BTW I got my new sensors on ebay, they cost $40 for all 4.
and you actually used them to replace a broken key component of a SAFETY DEVICE? I could tell you when I was under 30 that if a deal is too good to be true it almost always is..........and your going to criticize people under 30?

want to buy some used airbags? they were only used in one accident?(sorry I couldn't resist)

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-16-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah