Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the electrical troubleshooting manual..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Ok, I posted this pic somewhere, but here it is again. Pull the highlighted relay only. With the key on, your abs light should be on. Pull this relay, and the light may flash or go out (it may atay on too, but if the relay is in, it will stay on no matter what). Then find the blue ABS port and jumper the pins with the black (pin 5) and black pink (pin 2) wires. This should be with the key in the run position.

Write down the codes!!

The way it works on mine - it will show you a code, then you take out the jumper and wait for it to finish, then cycle the key off, re-insert the jumper and turn it back on. Then you get the next code. It will clear the code each time it is read.

Well, look at that, you actually gave out some useful information relating to the guy's problem and all it took was calling me a few names. I'm good with that, at least you posted something more useful than "just disable it".

Look, I only post here once in a while, when it starts to get too deep. I read for the most part, which is good advice a certain group of frequent fliers here should heed as well. But I doubt that will happen.

Here's the electrical manual. Yes, its for a 97, but it is better than what you have now.

http://www.landroverclub.ee/est/files/manuals/electricity/Disco_Elec.Troubleshooting%20Manual%20-%20LRL0077ENG%20(1997).pdf

Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Thank you sir, and from previous post I'm guessing the relay is one of the green ones (I have two under there) I'll check this out tomorrow. Exams are slowly making me drowsy hehe

Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Rock Crawling

BTW, the '95 ETM is the file etlj950x.pdf in the RAVE directory.

Specifically, \rave\pdf\lj\etlj950x.pdf

Here is the complete troubleshooting manual for the WABCO ABS

http://www.meritorhvs.com/MeritorHVS_Documents/mm38.pdf

Last edited by geek_IM; 12-15-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: added path
Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by geek_IM

Thanks for posting that, I'd been long enough I forgot, it's the voltage that fluctuates, not the resistance.
Sorry about that.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Camel Trophy

Caleb - it is the one on the right that will be closest to you. Pull that one, then jumper the other connector.

also, if you want to, PM me with your address and I will send you a CD. No need to pay $20 for one.

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 12-15-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Camel Trophy

Well, look at that, you actually gave out some useful information relating to the guy's problem and all it took was calling me a few names. I'm good with that, at least you posted something more useful than "just disable it".

Look, I only post here once in a while, when it starts to get too deep. I read for the most part, which is good advice a certain group of frequent fliers here should heed as well. But I doubt that will happen.

Here's the electrical manual. Yes, its for a 97, but it is better than what you have now.

http://www.landroverclub.ee/est/files/manuals/electricity/Disco_Elec.Troubleshooting%20Manual%20-%20LRL0077ENG%20(1997).pdf
I have never said to pull anything and disable it.

Good for you for reading. That is the most frustrating thing for me. If you read all of his posts, you will see that I have been trying to help this guy over 3 posts. I try to actually help people with their posts and give them in depth things to try. I have poured over the electrical manuals to give people locations and colors for wires to check.

I got upset because it seems that everyone is attacking this kid...still. I am sorry if what I wrote offended you, but I felt the need to defend him from an attack from you. Again, I apologize if I said something wrong and those were not your intentions, but that is how it read to me. Anything that starts with "bitch slap yourself" comes off as an attack to me...

I realize you are trying to help, but he can go through the 97 manual all day long and just waste his time. They are different enough that he will read and look for things that just aren't there..

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 12-15-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Camel Trophy

BTW, the '95 ETM is the file etlj950x.pdf in the RAVE directory.

Specifically, \rave\pdf\lj\etlj950x.pdf

and that link has been at the bottom of the ABS troubleshooting link I wrote for the tech section since I wrote it... I assume that is where you got it.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover

Oh btw, that service engine light is another issue. I guess telling him to reach under the pass side kick panel unplugging the module responsible for it and tossing as far away from the truck as he can throw it is again bad advice. Instead he should take the truck to a certified land rover shop and have the laundry list of mandatory repairs performed like the rest of the sheep.
Side note: I DID get the service engine light off by resetting it with a paper clip...what's with all the paper clip work on these things!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Update:

I figured out most of my codes and deleted them.

Code: 3-08 (Open circuit or connection from ECU to solenoid valve in booster, or in ECU.)
Code: 4-14 (no output from sensor. Sensor may have too large an air gap. Try tapping in sensor(s),
check connections) [FRONT LEFT]
Code: 5-12 (Too large an air gap, or sensor has been forced out by exciter ring – try tapping sensor
back into place.) [FRONT RIGHT]
Code: 5-14 (Too large an air gap, or sensor has been forced out by exciter ring – try tapping sensor
back into place.) [FRONT LEFT]

so for all the codes so far, besides the 3-08, I try tapping the sensor back in right? What do they look like?

Now after I got 5-14, I took out the paperclip, turned the key to position 1, reinserted the paper clip, turned the key to position 2, and the abs went off and then on like normal. I waited for the quick flashes but I can't tell what the code is. The previous codes was easy to tell because it flashed quickly 5 times, then paused (easy to tell compared to the pauses for the first number), then flashed quickly for 14. The code now does not flash quickly at all.. does that mean it starts with a 1? I can make a video if that would help?

Last edited by calebbo; 12-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah