Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d1eddie
agreed the stock links dont work for longer then 12 inch travel , i am having Perry McNeil make me custom links that are centered mounted ,then adding 33" x10.5 on off set rims ,bump stops and maybe limit straps, and possibly few more spots to beef up.
but i just tell him whats wrong or what i want it to do ,and leave the modifying to him...

if it all works out well i just might be out there chasing and helping out at 18th SCORE Laughlin Desert Challenge Laughlin, Nevada January 13-15, 2012

also fiber glass is going to be available for D1's but i need to know what would be better fenders and hoods or just one peace kits? and would any one want a fiberglass rear fender?
soon they will be making the mold, if we can find 3 more people that want to lose some pounds and change the whole look of there truck...
keep in mind it will be a newer style front mold to fit newer rover lights. and take newer style rover grills . also they will be a 3"-4" wider and a bit taller to regain some extra up travel out of them over-sized tires ...
New Version of my 4-link Analyzer & Request for Help - Pirate4x4.Com

LOW ROLL AXIS.. A lot of guys can make long arm links for Jeeps, Toyotas, etc. by winging it. Rovers are heavier and taller. Keep it low 3" lift max on the coil overs and you will thank me later. Hell I could wing it and make a custom 3-link for a rover, but would it ride like stock? not if I am winging it!

I am running 5" RTE coils and the SG 3-link and the coils are stiff which keeps it fairly stable but the roll axis when cornering is still too high and I need long travel sways. I also do not daily drive my truck and am working on getting a tow rig to tow it to off road events.

Good luck with your build

Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well yesterday i got a lot done.

1. clean Idle air control Valve (long over due)
2. change fuel filter
3. installed proper fuel pump housing

I also picked up a used ladder for cheap and started to clean off all the old paint as well

Last week i did the bumper mod and trimmed the plastic end caps and i am very happy with how it looks for now until i get a ARB bumper.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Replaced my rear carpet with 1/4" foam matting from Tractor Supply. Less than 20 bucks and 10 min of trimming and fitting. No more stuff sliding around, easy to clean, and easy to access the fuel pump. Great cheap mod.
Name:  photobucket-20608-1344276283887.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  70.6 KB

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Drifting

In the past few weeks I've replaced the alternator, belt, and just last night pulled the water pump. The new thermostat and pump are going on tonight after work. Not bad fora chic

Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Picked up some DOM to build my rear links Probably a bit overkill but I got it from a buddy for a good price.
Name:  photobucket-41640-1344292304694.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  94.9 KB

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by FieryRebel28
In the past few weeks I've replaced the alternator, belt, and just last night pulled the water pump. The new thermostat and pump are going on tonight after work. Not bad fora chic
Are you hot?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
Are you hot?
I assume you're talking about the truck, right? Like does the truck run hot?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Mudding

Well I finally did enough work today to rate a post!

Today I pulled the rubber mats out of the Disco 1 and shampooed the carpets - they are remarkably good condition for a '96.

Cleaned the intake and MAF with the appropriate cleaner...putting the Disco up on the ramps on the passenger side like some else recommended.

Removed the 2 non-functional a/c condenser fans and put a Hayden fan on that I already had in the garage...

Flushed the radiator with Prestone Flush...

Tightened the valve covers with the elusive 12 point 8mm deep well 1/4 drive socket that I had to order from Sears...

Tightened the oil pan that was on finger tight...no more leaks! Amazing...

Cut a piece of **** ( yes **** ) carpet for the dash board. I don't have a curl - mines a Tsunami!

Took it to the car wash and pressure washed the undercarriage and fender wells...

Took it to Midas and had the oil changed and tires rotated. I told the mgr that I just purchased it (i wanted him to do the inspection and sell me a bill of goods.) All he could find wrong was the washer pumps did not work????? I was surprised!

I had already removed the extraneous bites off plastic off the front bumper.

I think that was about it so far...

Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Picked up some DOM to build my rear links Probably a bit overkill but I got it from a buddy for a good price.
2" x .25" wall? Not too beefy - just right. What are you going to use for frame mounts?

Last edited by Jake1996D1; 08-06-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
2" x .25" wall? Not too beefy - just right. What are you going to use for frame mounts?
It is 2x.25 wall. Not sure on frame mounts. I thought about using ballistics box mounts on the side. I'd like run them as long as possible. My only issue with side mounts are going to be relocating the frame mounts on my sliders. I'm just going to get up under the truck this weekend and figure it out. Always open to ideas.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?