Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 05:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just installed mine and I couldn't be happier. Temps dropped from 215-218 degrees down to the highest of 188 degrees. This hopefully has a positive effect on how long head gaskets last.

The only "issue" I ran into is the hose that goes into the top of the water pump has a bit of a kink in it. Do I need to modify it so this doesn't happen?

Old 05-14-2022, 06:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

It looks like you've got it a bit too high on the pipe coming out of the manifold and the thermostat assembly not rotated exactly correctly to avoid the kink. Have a very close look at the photos earlier in the thread, on the website, and in the instructions and you should be able to get it just right.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:35 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

I like this setup posted by a Joe Bryant on Facebook... it clears the alternator pulley very well, plus the thermostat housing is nested nicely on the fan cowl. I may adapt my existing Extinct's housing with this routing.

Facebook Post

Mini Cooper Part # 17127515487.

Last edited by acg; 05-18-2022 at 12:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by acg:
Richard Gallant (05-17-2022), Vegasdisco2 (09-09-2023)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:29 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I installed this new heavier duty throttle body plate last night https://www.sportscarcentre.ca/MGM000010K
I had already drained the coolant loop and flushed the system, when I was putting back the inline mod, I accidentally switched positions with the outlet toward the engine. Fortunately, I caught this almost immediately (before starting the system.
I normally run the port up (with a temp probe), and when installed backward it fit both lower on the cowl and away from the alternator pulley, plus the port was still available with enough space to run a probe. Looking at it, the thermostat should have no problem fitting on the opposite side, so if it were run in this configuration it would have the correct orientation.

Frankly, it looked pretty good backwards, and sat lower. Has anyone tried it in this direction and Extinct, can you think of any problems if it were run this way? I may just switch it out and run of test, unless there is a specific reason not too. I would have taken a picture, but it was already late and dark by then.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:28 PM
Camel Trophy

No reason not to, should work fine. Functionally the same so if you are happier with how it fits go for it.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Hey Tim! We spoke at Uwharrie about hose tees. I looked back up the company I had bought tees from before, here's the link. Hope this is if benefit.

https://jagsthatrun.com/products/bra...-radiator-hose

Old 06-10-2022, 10:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

I bench tested a spare thermostat I have and it doesn't start to open until around 185F. Pretty sure this is fairly normal but just wanted to check to see because my truck's still running around 188 on the freeway. Still haven't had a chance to pull the t-stat to see how it runs but the t-stat that's in there is the one i tested that doesn't open until 185ish. Seems fully open by 200 though at least.

I'm wondering if my temps are kind of high due to running 33s and a metal bumper/winch. I remember my truck running at 180 or so on the freeway in mild temps and even hot temps with the stock bumper and 31.5s. I'm still on stock gearing since I forgot to order a D1 driveshaft with my diffs and they're built with 4 hole flanges. Going to pull the thermostat at some point this weekend to test again without a thermostat to see what the truck runs at.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy

Your 33's likely are cause some increased engine load, even at 70mph steady state, so that is increasing your heating. Any blockage on the grill will increase heating, I have noticed fog lamps and bumpers can do it. You may want to consider a safari grille, seems to be good for about 5 degrees on my trucks. The thermostat elements in my kits are Motorad, but I have noticed some variability in opening temps usually on the low side. You did not mention where the element came from but if you got it from my site they are lifetime warranty so if you want I can send you a replacement if you think it is not performing correctly.

Stock vehicles can maintain a 100 degree temperature differential from ambient, so if ambient is 85 then 188 on the highway is perfectly normal for your equipment.

The following users liked this post:
andino (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

188 sounds totally fine.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Your 33's likely are cause some increased engine load, even at 70mph steady state, so that is increasing your heating. Any blockage on the grill will increase heating, I have noticed fog lamps and bumpers can do it. You may want to consider a safari grille, seems to be good for about 5 degrees on my trucks. The thermostat elements in my kits are Motorad, but I have noticed some variability in opening temps usually on the low side. You did not mention where the element came from but if you got it from my site they are lifetime warranty so if you want I can send you a replacement if you think it is not performing correctly.

Stock vehicles can maintain a 100 degree temperature differential from ambient, so if ambient is 85 then 188 on the highway is perfectly normal for your equipment.
I did take off my bumper lights as a test but I'm still running about 188 when temps are less than 75F. Around 80F, I recall my temps rise to around 193-195 at 65mph or so. I did purchase my thermostats from you but I don't think they're working incorrectly. I was just posting to see if anyone else had tested their stats to see what they've opening at.

Good call on doing the safari grill mod. I have some mesh grill but I haven't had time to cut the center vent out on my 04 grill to put it on.

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread