Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I'm fitting the new WABCO modulator shuttle switch repair kit today (wish me luck) I checked the ABS codes once again yesterday evening to make sure I am not wasting my time and it confirmed 'shuttle valve electrical failure' so onward and upward and hopefully 'kill' the 3 amigos for good.

I fitted a new drag link and steering damper a few days ago, although the steering wheel is very slightly off horizontal it's no big problem to adjust. I then road tested the new kit and wow what a difference, no vibration or shimmering. I must deduce that the defective worn drag link ball end was the cause of the vibes at speeds over 60mph. I now have to fit the new track control link also.

I'm slowly emtying the boxes of spares and ticking the jobs off the list. Still plenty to go yet

Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM

I fitted this professionally modified WABCO ABS shuttle switch kit today Landrover Discovery 2 Defender ABS Modulator Shuttle Valve Switch Repair Kit | eBay .

It works perfectly. There were no Amigos after a hard test drive. It's a similar fix to the Option B but doesn't need the earth.

Some tips on fitting insitu:

Attributes.

Allow 2-2.5 hours.
A lot of patience and an even temper.

Tools needed.

10mm ratchet swivel head combination spanner.
1/4" drive socket rathet.
1/4" drive 4mm Allen head socket.
Can of WD40 or similar.
Very small screwdriver or thin pick.
A LARGE SWEAR BOX

This task is not at all difficult just tedious and time consuming. Amazingly the most difficult part is raising and propping up the modulator which I did using a piece of 4x2 timber 4 inches long. The brake pipes can be flexed easily to accommodate this height of lift but don't forget to release them from the clips on the firewall. Removing the 3 screws is tedious as you can only turn them 1/8th turn even with a 1/4" ratchet. They remain stiff with resistance until totally removed as they have been inserted originally with a threadlock fluid. Putting the new scews back in is a doddle. In this mod it requires removing pins 8&9 from the original plug and inserting them in the new plug included in the kit. One wire in the kit goes into the old position of 8th pin and 9 isn't used anymore. It helps to remove the power steering reservoir and set aside and also the top of the air filter.

It is a fiddly job but relatively easy and very successful and also utilises the existing earth in the plug so no additional earth required. I can recommend this mod to overcome the 'trois amigos' issues provided the fault code is 'shuttle valve electrical failure' otherwise your problems may be elsewhere.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 07-08-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil change 4 of my ownership. Been changing every 3k miles. Every time the Rotella is coming out black. Will continue changing every 3k until I start getting some honey coming out.

Will hit the 100,000 mile mark on this 2003 some time this month!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

OffroadFrance,

that is a different kit than they sell over here, looks to be an improved version

Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Overlanding
Default Blue Devil in Transfer Box (how much?)

About to do Transfer Box oil, how much Blue Devil do I put in? The whole bottle? Bought 74/140 Valvoline syn to go with it.. may be into this thing within the hour, already loosened both plugs so I know I'm good to go there, just need to know how much of the Blue Devil to use.

Thanks, Bill

Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap
OffroadFrance,

that is a different kit than they sell over here, looks to be an improved version
Hi drowssap, you're right. It is a very neat package and it works it looks neat and professional and worth the extra cash. So far so good no amigos YET

If you wanted/needed it it is available on Ebay. (I have absolutely nothing to do with this company or their product apart from buying it and so far I'm pleased with the results)

Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

99RedDisco

why are you adding blue devil to your case?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
99RedDisco

why are you adding blue devil to your case?
My thought as well. Just get some fresh oil in there, unless you have a reason to put in additive.

FWIW, my transfer case oil was in bad shape. Probably because it's a bear to get at that fill screw so it was never changed.

Even though the oil was pretty bad coming out, I still simply replaced with fresh oil.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:46 PM

From the vid it sounds like this Blue Devil is the cure for ALL ills...............hmmm, another bandaid or just snake oil.........

Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
From the vid it sounds like this Blue Devil is the cure for ALL ills...............hmmm, another bandaid or just snake oil.........
hisssss

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?