Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I decided that I needed some kind of recovery point/hook with the new bumper, but I did not want to spend the $80 each on the terrafirma recovery swivel eyes. Upon inspection with this particular bumper, I noticed it bolted using 3 holes, but did not have metal on the outermost bottom hole in the chassis.

So I figured that if I cut the top of the OEM towhook bracket off on the same side, it should fit and still be sturdy. Sure enough it does and it was free. I have a second tow hook on order from ebay for $13 to get some symmetry going. So two recovery points for $13 instead of $160+shipping

(my sway bar could use some paint LOL)

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-2014-10-26-09.49.14.jpg   What did you do with your DII today?-2014-10-26-09.50.09.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

bumper looks good

Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I would not begin to trust that recovery point.... you'd be better off using a JATE setup or something, that looks dangerous. Whatever you do, DONT do any kind of dynamic recovery

Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I would not begin to trust that recovery point.... you'd be better off using a JATE setup or something, that looks dangerous. Whatever you do, DONT do any kind of dynamic recovery
Thanks for the feedback. Don't worry, I have no intention of doing any serious offroading with this setup. It sadly seems surprisingly hard to find anywhere to offroad within 45 minutes of Boston outside of jumping curbs at the local supermarket parking lot

Mostly I wanted some hooks in place to attach tow straps to during winter time incase either the disco gets stuck on snow/ice, or more likely, I call my son to come help me pull my RWD bmw with snow tires out of a icy bind.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you find dangerous about this? Is it that the stock disco towhook is weak because it is a welded on the bracket and could pull apart? Or is it about the fact that I cut of one of the mounting holes of the stock bracket?

I had to google Jate and it shows brackets that are held by a single bolt going through the bumper mount and my modified bracket is also going through 1 bolt mount on both sides and 2 bolt mounts on one side, so it seems about the same thing unless the strength of the weld is in question.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Camel Trophy

The stock disco doesn't have a tow point, that loop you saw was a tie down point and shouldn't be used for recovery. My issue is not the single bolt, but the bent rod that's welded to the bracket at an odd angle.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default gaiter

Not as exciting as welding a recovery hook, but easier. I replaced the emergency brake boot/garter with a new leather one from eBay. $20 and it looks tons better. It took about an hour only because I moved slowly and gave each surface of contact adhesive 15 minutes to cure.

Measured the abs grommets that cost $50 from Falcon in the hopes I can find a more affordable replacement.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
The stock disco doesn't have a tow point, that loop you saw was a tie down point and shouldn't be used for recovery. My issue is not the single bolt, but the bent rod that's welded to the bracket at an odd angle.
Actually the truck has 3 factory recovery points, the front is not to be used for towing, but can be used for on road recovery ei pulling vehicle onto a trailer, tow truck or pulling out of the snow. Just remember ZGPhoto is a sales man so of course he would try and sell you something. Also here is the page from the owners manual to back me up.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry it didn't insert the screen shot

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-screen-shot-2014-10-28-9.00.09-am.png  
Old 10-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by thesoundguru
Actually the truck has 3 factory recovery points, the front is not to be used for towing, but can be used for on road recovery ei pulling vehicle onto a trailer, tow truck or pulling out of the snow. Just remember ZGPhoto is a sales man so of course he would try and sell you something. Also here is the page from the owners manual to back me up.
Originally Posted by thesoundguru
Sorry it didn't insert the screen shot
I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, don't be foolish. That page literally says that it is for on-road recovery. As anyone on here with experience knows, they're not off-road recovery points. They can obviously be used for on-road recovery and to get a vehicle on a flatbed.

Please don't jump to conclusions because I work for a company that sells Rover parts. It only means I have more access to information, not that I'm trying to sell you anything.

Last edited by ZGPhoto; 10-28-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Zack's job is to take pretty photos and give parts away. It must suck.

Speaking of photos weren't you going to email me some of those photos that Les took of my beat up 90?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?