Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Noice..who's the maker?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

On my dads 03'
- valve cover gaskets (were leaking oil pretty good)
- ABS fix
- coolant flush
- oil change
- plasti dipped the 18s black

On mine...
- polish headlights
- interior clean

Last edited by Joe!; 05-09-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stillruns
Noice..who's the maker?
Tactical rover's.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default New tires and plastidip

Just put on new tires and plastidipped wheels. 245 75 16. Also flipped spare tire holder.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-image.jpeg  
Old 05-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 disco with roughly 160k miles... Looking to change oil and filter... What's best? I was going to use rosella T5 but don't know which filter..

Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 AM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

Finally got a round to changing the oil in the transfer case last night. Firstly, ugh -- what a terrible position for the filler hole!
Secondly, waaaaaaaay less oil came out than went in. I foresee chasing down some leaks in the near future.
Thirdly, much quieter this morning. Since the truck is relatively new to me I didn't know how it was supposed to sound and didn't realise it was making so much noise. Makes it much easier to hear the suspension clunks!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I got my exhaust leak on the passenger side Manifold to Y pipe junction fixed yesterday. I had thrown a couple of O2 Sensors at it, but did figure out what was going on myself, and appear to have solved it. The tick is gone, it is idling and running much smoother.

While he was at it I had him heat up the bolts for the cross member under the Transfer Case and the bolts I broke on the one under the pan. I am going to invest in a good corded variable drill some left hand twist drill bits and hope for the best. Doing the Transfer case is next.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm driving to Fayetteville NC from Miami, and ~630 miles into the trip my Torque app in my phone starts telling me I'm overheating. The alarm was set for 212F, but the first warning it was already at 220ish. I glance at the instruments expecting to possibly see an alternator light, but everything looks normal. The temp is hitting 230 by the time I get pulled over on the side of the interstate and I'm thinking i must have blown a hose.

Sure enough, when I get out I see coolant dumping on the ground. I open the hood and it's spraying everywhere. Stupidly, I open the rad cap to vent the pressure, which makes it harder to figure out where the leak is.

So, after 30ish frustrating minutes on the phone with AAA, I start trying to find the leak. All the hoses look intact, and finally I notice the fan is tilted. I try to move it and it flops around. I suspect the impeller has completely broken loose and the fan was just spinning the rod but not pumping coolant.

About 30 minutes later the tow truck arrives and drops me at a local hotel. I call around and miraculously every store in town has a water pump. I grab a big backpack and walk the ~1 mile down to the nearest parts store and get the pump, a fan clutch (though to old one seems ok, I figure I might as well), some RTV, and coolant. I started pulling it apart and got the fan and shroud out before sunset. I could have gotten the pump out but (predictably) the fan was a PITA to get loose.

BTW, there was no indication the pump was failing - no leak, no noise, nothing. Although, if the impeller did just pop off, I guess there wouldn't be any warning. I've now replaced both idlers (after one failed with no warning and stranded me during my last road trip in the Disco), tensioner, power steering pump, and alternator. If it wasn't such a PITA, I'd go ahead and replace the compressor just because it's the last man standing, but for how long?

Anyway, that's what I did with my Disco today. Now I'm drinking Guatemalan Rum and trying to watch netflix with an iffy wifi connection.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Now I'm drinking Guatemalan Rum
Sunday morning will be fun.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Ahh, I'll be fine. It all comes down to conditioning.

Anyway, I'm gonna take it fairly easy because I plan to get up early to install the water pump.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?