Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
How did you do that, not once but twice?
Doing rover stuff i guess. I'm going to have to upgrade my axle internals soon. I also snapped my front passenger side axle shatft 2 weeks ago.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Daedrix
Doing rover stuff i guess.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-c41220cfe4f7c510921d0f7dfa32199ff6b4ac6d7613ce0344335d6e723e5fb6%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 12-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

It started heating up. I knew i jinxed it by remarking that it was running fine. The heater was no longer gettting hot. I elevated the expansion tank and filled til it ran out the bleeder screw. I had a small leak at the junction of the hose to the throttle body and the expansion tank, tightened the hose clamp.

this makes me crazy, i have bled it repeatedly. If it does not get better i will have to take it in.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Bit of Frustration

Update/Edit to below...12-23-2015
Silblade wipes 100% after replacing wiper arm and may be a good choice.
(Installed new rear wiper blade, Silblade RB114D supposedly a fit per Amazon. A bit of material removal required to click into place. Once installed found only the bottom third to half wipes. Compared to blade removed and contour of blade different causing the issue. Just a heads up to others not to purchase that particular blade.)

R&R'd spare tire to facilitate blade change. Since tools were out wanted to ensure lug nuts on the drivin' wheels could be removed using lug wrench and then re-torque to specs. SOP for me with a tire install or vehicle purchase. One wheel took close to an hour using a battery of tools having to deal with the nut assembles/nuts/caps. I'd never heard of a friggin' nut assembly or nut cap prior to just getting the D2. Pretty much a pacifist but wanting to inflict pain upon whoever decided to allow these to be installed on a road vehicle.

Did a bit of searching on the lug nut/cap issues and it seems that many folks like to defend the stock nut/cap design by blaming the damaged nut/cap on shops using impact wrenches or improper socket size. Most suggest a replacement set costing $100 or more when the nuts are good to go once the caps are removed and 26mm socket/handle/bar goes into your tire changing tool kit. Bottom line, plain & simple......nut/cap is a dumb idiotic design and thankful I didn't learn this lesson while trying to change a flat on some road/trail side.

Soon as the just ordered Proto deep impact socket arrives the caps will be gone, nuts painted some nice exotic color and reinstalled. Will just need to find some motion activated LEDs with a M14 X 1.5 shaft to screw in the voids and make it all good.

Last edited by number9; 12-23-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Update on wiper blade.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  image_zpslxbhghxp.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  187.5 KB

Today I got my new Disco put on a truck heading my way!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:08 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Disco 2 for $450

I picked this up on Monday for $450. It has 150,000 miles on it. Heads were recently done at 125,000, new water pump, and radiator. The previous owner was having a misfire in cylinder 7 and was told he needed a new coil pack and was going to be charged $1200 to replace it. He didn't want to spend it and was going to junk it. I thought I would swoop in and rescue the girl. Shes intact, no sunroofs, there is rust on the under carriage and some rot on the rear cross members. (Planning on box welding it in the near future)So far I've spent about $100 to start fixing her up. I fixed the license plate light, headlight and interior lights, the gas door actuator, put new plugs in, working on restoring the headliner by painting it, I've included pics below. I also por-15 the back crossmembers and will be waxoyling the undercarriage soon. I've ordered some new used coil packs with 1 year warranties to replace the current ones. I also started to grease and lube all the squeaking hinges. When I picked her up she looked like a mummy. I swear the previous owner bandaged the truck up with duct tape any chance he got and thought it was the cure all.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-img_8505.jpg   What did you do with your DII today?-img_8514.jpg  
Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Installed new rear wiper blade, Silblade RB114D supposedly a fit per Amazon. A bit of material removal required to click into place. Once installed found only the bottom third to half wipes. Compared to blade removed and contour of blade different causing the issue. Just a heads up to others not to purchase that particular blade.
I purchased the same blade. Didn't bother modifying it when I found out it did not fit at all. Was going to ship it back to Silblade for a refund, but having to ship it back on my own dime and wait for the refund made it not worth my time. Ended up purchasing an OEM rear blade from Rovers North. Does the job to my satisfaction with no hassle. Ten months later and it still works well.

I also have Silblades for the fronts. After about a year, they don't wipe as well as they used to. Worthless when it's below freezing and snowing outside (this was when I had them new). The blades would freeze up and not conform to the windshield, making them not wipe away a large portion of the windshield. Had to stop the truck, get out to clear the windshield and flex the blades to unstick them. Going to try to give the windshield and wiper blades a good cleaning to see if their performance returns. If not, new OEM blades it is.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Yup.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mx468
I picked this up on Monday for $450... *snip*
Looks like a good deal! I thought I had the cheapest Disco ($500), I guess that is no longer true.

I wasn't aware they had Discos w/o sunroofs. For some reason I thought they were standard.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evoblade
Looks like a good deal! I thought I had the cheapest Disco ($500), I guess that is no longer true.

I wasn't aware they had Discos w/o sunroofs. For some reason I thought they were standard.
$400 here! Mine sat at a car lot for months and months. I finally stopped by and asked what they'd take for it.

But to be relevant to the thread, I hand-delivered an ARB front bumper to a customer in Dallas today. I even got one for myself. I should get it on some time next week.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?