Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try this after the motor rebuild. I like shell products.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the shell 15w-40 is also like $13 a gallon at walmart. or you can buy the 2.5G jug for $30ish i think it was.

The following users liked this post:
galchutt81 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 11:43 PM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 68 Posts

Today I took my truck down this road.

Not my video, but I remember each and every rock. Let's just say that the "pucker factor" was high.

The following 2 users liked this post by T-rex:
Caleb.hunter (04-23-2016), Fallstaff (04-24-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The evolution of a simple project

Just replaced my factory radiator with a new Nissens and changed out all the hoses with a kit from Atlantic British. Of course, once I got everything pulled out, I saw that I had clear access to the water pump and said to myself, "self, you've never replaced a water pump before... might as well." So I did that too.
I also noticed a lot of build-up on the throttle body heater and decided to go ahead and replace that little guy, too. And heck, if I'm taking the TB off, might as well get myself a new TB gasket and clean that sucker out.
And of course, since I drained a few oz of motor oil from the oil cooler in the process of changing radiators, might as well throw on a new high capacity Wix and some new Rotella. While I was at it, I decided to top up the gearbox oil, but it occurred to me that was WAY too easy. So how about a new gearbox filter and gasket? Just about got her all put back together and decided on a new Gatorback pulley belt. The old one was a bit dry.
She's running like a song again. But i think the next time I have a small radiator leak, i'll just plug it.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Yesterday spent most of the time pumping 85w-140 gear oil into both difs and today pumping another 2.2 qts of the same in the t-fer case. If I didn't expect it to take 2 years and 30k of no offroad driving I'd get a better pump. Good lord it takes forever pumping that stuff!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

What kind of pump did you use? I use one of the regular old kerosene pumps with the clear tube and orange bulb. Its still kinda slow, but not incredibly so.

Originally Posted by jamieb
Yesterday spent most of the time pumping 85w-140 gear oil into both difs and today pumping another 2.2 qts of the same in the t-fer case. If I didn't expect it to take 2 years and 30k of no offroad driving I'd get a better pump. Good lord it takes forever pumping that stuff!

Old 04-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Alex_M
What kind of pump did you use? I use one of the regular old kerosene pumps with the clear tube and orange bulb. Its still kinda slow, but not incredibly so.
The same one I used for my Tranny. It screws into the top of the bottle and you pump and down. About 1/2 to 1 oz per pump

Old 04-24-2016, 06:40 PM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

The first time I changed my ATF I didn't have a pump. I had to use a turkey baster. Now THAT takes a long time...

Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
The first time I changed my ATF I didn't have a pump. I had to use a turkey baster. Now THAT takes a long time...
ATF went pretty quick, lower viscosity. The 85W-140 gear oil was SLOOOOOOWWWW. 😀

Old 04-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Caleb.hunter

Just replaced my factory radiator with a new Nissens and changed out all the hoses with a kit from Atlantic British. Of course, once I got everything pulled out, I saw that I had clear access to the water pump and said to myself, "self, you've never replaced a water pump before... might as well." So I did that too.
I also noticed a lot of build-up on the throttle body heater and decided to go ahead and replace that little guy, too. And heck, if I'm taking the TB off, might as well get myself a new TB gasket and clean that sucker out.
And of course, since I drained a few oz of motor oil from the oil cooler in the process of changing radiators, might as well throw on a new high capacity Wix and some new Rotella. While I was at it, I decided to top up the gearbox oil, but it occurred to me that was WAY too easy. So how about a new gearbox filter and gasket? Just about got her all put back together and decided on a new Gatorback pulley belt. The old one was a bit dry.
She's running like a song again. But i think the next time I have a small radiator leak, i'll just plug it.
JEEEEEEEEZ! Lol. You are a lot like me, but I've learned to spread it out over several weeks. I definitely can relate.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?