Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 12:04 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last night I noticed that my license plate bulbs were dead, went out today and picked up two replacement bulbs LEDs.

I know people say get the old school bulbs because they will get warm enough to melt the snow that may accumulate under it when driving.

It's not too much of a concern of mine as I don't plant on doing and long road trips, and if I do regular stops are.part of my routine which include removing snow from lights.

Anyway it was a simple enough operation, although I didn't think to take and photos. Essentially two screws for each light (one on the left and one on the right) they pop out towards you and are simply pop out and pop in.

Now my plate is visible and I have no worries of being pulled over for that.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
I did that too but I used a cheap amazon radiator core. Does the mfg of the radiator make a difference?
Generally, no, although some guys have had bad radiators out of the box. Very rare, maybe two that I know of based on helping people with their cooling problems over the last couple of years (several hundred inline installations and follow up assistance). More likely your thermostat is not functioning ideally, I have several working factory thermostats (I think one is brand new never been used) I can send for the cost of shipping but obviously I recommend the inline mod. Several users down in your part of the world can give you their feedback but generally you should be seeing 100 degrees + ambient as operating temperature.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
@mln01 - My temps are usually in the low 190's but when I get on the highway at those speeds, I'm usually up around 215-217. What have you done to your rig to run it at such low temps? Do you still have the stock air scoop under the front bumper?
My truck has the stock cooling system setup, but with the Land Rover genuine, gray 180°F soft spring thermostat (part #PEL500110) bought in Feb 2016 from bputah.com. Nothing special. I had to replace the water pump two years ago this month, and when I did that I also replaced the fan clutch with the Hayden 2991 (Severe Duty). Stock air intake (from under the wing (fender), not under the bumper).

Cruising temp is 188.6°F as displayed via the UltraGauge, sometimes dipping a bit lower. Temps at idle climb to the mid to upper 190s, and very rarely a bit over 200. What's odd is that the idle temps are a few degrees higher than they were with the stock fan clutch. One of these days I may reinstall the stock fan clutch and see what happens with the idle temps.

It's weird that the temps for your truck climb at highway speeds. The norm is that temps go down with more air moving through the radiator while the vehicle is moving than is supplied by the fan at idle.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:12 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

@mln01 Mine will sit at 183 all day (inline) at around 70 to 100F ambient under or at 40 mph and cruising. Accelerating medium to hard will run me up to 188 to 194ish, as will climbing steep hills at those speeds. My bet is the AC condenser fins are partly clogged reducing airflow or the Transmission cooler, other that the that and the water pump my cooling system is new.

I noticed a significant temp drop after going down at flood roaded (500M) at 2500 rpm. As the water crested my hood the engine temp dropped 10 degrees with in seconds it was very significant. Most of that water would hit the condenser and oil sump so that leads me to those 2 things.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Generally, no, although some guys have had bad radiators out of the box. Very rare, maybe two that I know of based on helping people with their cooling problems over the last couple of years (several hundred inline installations and follow up assistance). More likely your thermostat is not functioning ideally, I have several working factory thermostats (I think one is brand new never been used) I can send for the cost of shipping but obviously I recommend the inline mod. Several users down in your part of the world can give you their feedback but generally you should be seeing 100 degrees + ambient as operating temperature.
Hey Extinct - I was looking at purchasing off your website but it said the config was unavailable.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Sorry, we had an inventory error but it should be corrected now, let me know via pm if it is not working now.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Sorry, we had an inventory error but it should be corrected now, let me know via pm if it is not working now.
No problem. Order placed!

Old 11-28-2021, 08:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Had a little fabrication job for a customer this weekend. He wanted some lights added, so I built a hoop to go on his Terrafirma bumper and mounted up a couple Hella 500FFs.

Name:  WaezhKl.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  T38NKec.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  1.31 MB

The LEDs underneath were a n addition from a prior visit.

Name:  ZOcGPfu.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  1.21 MB

Name:  FqpQZnI.jpeg
Size:  755.7 KB

Tapped threads for the ground right into the mounting tabs.

Name:  4xjVkUF.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  2.97 MB

Name:  MPBxjzU.jpeg
Size:  1.08 MB

Threads are tapped into the bumper, no nuts required. Makes for easy removal/reassembly if it's necessary.

Also fed the wires through the inside of the tube to keep everything tidy.

Name:  nMmhOlf.jpeg
Size:  1.47 MB

Name:  Qf7rz3u.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  1.10 MB

Name:  Cs3gUUf.jpeg
Size:  2.39 MB

Super pleased with the look and function. This was a fun little project.

All stainless hardware was used so there won't be any corrosion issues. The mounting plates and tabs are 1/4". You could jack the whole front of the truck up off this bar, it's very strong. Should provide some protection from deer in addition to being the mounting for the lights. It may bend in an impact with a deer, but should also protect the truck and be easily replaced since it's bolt on.

The following 4 users liked this post by Alex_M:
Richard Gallant (11-28-2021), TimInNova (11-29-2021), wjsj69 (11-29-2021), XFactor (11-30-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice work! Love to see a great Disco in VA!

Old 11-29-2021, 06:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Went to flush the differentials yesterday, one of the last warm weather days we should have. The fluid was crystal clean, green, must have been done by the PO, 3.5 yrs ago. A bit disappointed, but I suppose I dont need to do the rear. I have the brass plugs and everything. I have run out of things to fix, even the PS pump stopped leaking.

knock on wood.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?