Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:29 AM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

At the craft store that would be called "crinkle finish."

Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Installed new-larger battery in the 01. Gone is the 660CCA...hello monster 1140CCA. Replaced ground wire to engine, now connects to motor mount bolt...which is a much larger, too. Changed over battery terminals to stud type, much easier for adding accessories. I believe this battery will be beneficial when the winch gets installed...someday.

Brian.
Which battery did you get?

Old 05-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks to Brian for the high quality tie downs. And they match my interior well. Test fitted them w/ my cargo track - nice and tight. Will mount them up over the weekend.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Love the straps Brian. Pelican secured. They're too long for the base of the cubby, I think I will either experiment with snipping the strap or swap for a shorter webbing. The clamp style versus ratchet is perfect for my needs

Old 05-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,165 Likes on 840 Posts

Glad they worked out, Jeff. I believe has you play around with them...they will become more useful. I like the lower portion of the strap, since it has a ring....increases your possibilities, when wanting to use a hook/bungy cord style strap. Kind of gives you more locations down low. I'll look to see if we have just the mount with an ring on it, then you could criss-cross the lower cabinet straps.

Okay, replaced 02 sensors on the 03. And all I can say is...I'm glad that job is done. Had the one on the drivers-side-front, come out with no threads. Had to repair the hole with a M18 tap. Tight quarters, for sure, but I was able to get through the inner wheel-well spacing and make the repair. Runs much cleaner and code (PO171) is gone.

Took my rover off the road for a bit, must clear my head for getting cars ready for the summer and show season.

Was hoping to get out once and do some real four wheeling, but looks like it would be until fall now.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 05-12-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Glad I wasn't the only one that had a stripped driver's side and had to retap it. It got to the point where I was about ready to drop the y pipe so I know your frustration. Glad you got her done

Old 05-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Glad I wasn't the only one that had a stripped driver's side and had to retap it. It got to the point where I was about ready to drop the y pipe so I know your frustration. Glad you got her done
Thank you, and yes...I was kicking myself for not replacing them while the engine was out. Looked at them a couple different times, but hesitated...since I didn't want to add another dollar to this thing before I found an engine.

Brian.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Well I tackled a project I'd been putting off on my Kalahari after I converted it to an 04 CDL and then disabled the INOP interlock switch (used the 04 instead).

When I disabled the old interlock switch I removed the solenoid's rod so it wouldn't be an issue anymore. However in doing so I apparently didn't seal the thing back up 100% and it leaked out of the old interlock housing. It is such a PITA to get to I kept putting it off and putting it off, but the leak wasn't going away so today I tackled it.

Lucky for me all the bolts came off without any issues (zero rust vehicle) and I was able to patiently get all 4 8mm bolts holding the old interlock solenoid off. Then I had to loosen 1 10mm bolt that held the Hi/Lo cable into place so I could lift the interlock solenoid out.

Then the real time consuming part was making a metal plate to replace the old housing. At my work we have these shims we use to level vaults/lanes with and I grabbed a few the last time I was at the shop. I centered the old interlock housing on it, drilled one hole thru it, put a bolt/nut thru it to keep it from spinning and drilled out the other 3 1/4 holes. Once that was done I clamped it into a vise and used a good old death wheel as RoadKill likes to call it and ground it down to the exact diameter as the old housing. Then I grabbed 4 shorter bolts for it, used some Right Stuff RTV sealant, and installed it.

The install went much much much quicker as I didn't have to fight getting the 4 bolts installed like I did when I had to remove them. I re-installed the brake drum assembly, the drive shaft, and washed up.

Then I took it for a 35 mile drive to town and back and I seem to have stopped the old gal from gushing like the Exxon Valdez.

It truly is a PITA to reach that old style interlock solenoid, but on my Kalahari I shouldn't ever have to worry about getting to that plate ever again!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Spent some time at Fort Fisher

So went down to the beach this weekend, instead of doing the normal Carolina Beach I felt like doing something more secluded. So we went the Fort Fisher route, showed my son how to air down the tires, switched to low range and off we went. On the way out going through crossover 1 went over a big black spot, found out later at the shop I aired up at that a brand new jeep went out and burnt to the ground because he high centered and then overheated it until it went up in flames. The deep sand at Fort Fisher was interesting. I found the truck wanted to stay in second at 2k rpm and up instead of going into third, only going 10mph, saw temps get up to 210 and started to get a little anxious. Let off just cruising at like 5-6mph and temps dropped back to 188. So I tested a theory and put it in manual since it was in low range and put it in third instead of it staying in second and engine temps stayed at the normal 188 the rest of the time. Drove all the way to the end and started to come back up. We parked for awhile and had some fun. Took my son up on the roof to show him the bay on the other side of the dunes and actually figured out you could see Southport. On the way out found a Tahoe of street tires high centered and decided to help him out, my wife was cruising my name thinking I was going to get us stuck. But anyways had a blast and have never been prouder having a Rover. Another guy with an Xterra was there trying to dig the Tahoe out, after I got him out the Xterra guy just looked at me and said, "Well I guess all you guys driving Rovers aren't stuck up, rich, ******** after all." I just laughed and told him I have met my fair share, but that most of us aren't like that.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

So we air down to 18lbs

It's the ocean!

If you look over there, across the dunes you can see Southport.

Justin, if you get us stuck, I'm never talking to you again!

Old 05-14-2017, 03:25 AM
Camel Trophy

Love the picture of your son, impatiently waiting for you to air down. Like really dad...the ocean's waiting for me and my cool dinosaur shirt!

Brian.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?