Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I installed the Glowshift oil filter sandwich plate a adapter so that i could monitor oil temp and pressure... i was going to install the gauges on the knee panel that drops down below the steering wheel but after cutting 1 of the wholes for the gauge to come through i realized that the dial was set too far back in and couldn't be seen from the drivers seat... woops...

So i set them on top of the steering column and left the whole for a while...decided the other week to fill that whole with something less important...that didnt need to be read constantly...a volt gauge!

I ordered a digital one so that the numbers were closer to the face of the gauge and can be seen better from the drivers seat.

Almost forgot...also installed a trailer brake controller for a 4-place snowmobile trailer I picked up recently (you can see it below the volt gauge...best place i could find to mount it...

if you have gauges or other gadgets mounted up please share...i feel like my drivers side keeps getting smaller, was thinking about mounting the oil temp and pressure on adjustable pod on the ceiling by the sunroof buttons...

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-oil-gauge.jpg   What did you do with your DII today?-volt-gauge.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

so - what kind of oil PSI do you see at cold start, warm idle, warm 2500 rpm? What does oil temp get to on a drive over 20 minutes? Do you have an Ultra Gauge or something else for the coolant temp in digital fashion?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by willrok13
Thanks man. We need to get a group together and go hit some trails ASAP. Know of a group or place?
I agree, but all I've tried out is the power lines off Lakeshore.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
so - what kind of oil PSI do you see at cold start, warm idle, warm 2500 rpm? What does oil temp get to on a drive over 20 minutes? Do you have an Ultra Gauge or something else for the coolant temp in digital fashion?
hot Idle - 10 psi
Cold Idle - 44psi

Hot 2000rpm - 54
Cold 2000rpm - 56

03 - in the bad VIN range.

Oil temp is around 180 with outside temperatures below 70F and flatland driving. With warmer temps or heading up long hills 200-220F.

I had to take out the 180F t-stat for the winter and put back in stock...oil temps wouldnt get above 160-170 when it was -5F outside and no heat.....gotta switch back here shortly.

I dont know the flow path of the oil through the engine so im not sure where the oil has come from at the point of measurement. Any insight?

I added an oil cooler from a 4.0 and it seemed to bring it down the temp 10F on average. Bolt on installation and i would recommend it to anyone that wants to bring down the engine temps some more...not sure why they deleted it on the 4.6 but with the over-heating issues why not have it?

No coolant temp sensor which i realize would give me a faster indication of something suspect but the oil temp is fairly responsive to driving conditions.

I used DiscoMikes scanner to compare the oil vs coolant, it was within 5F but this was from just a quick drive around the block.

I have a scanner but its a cheap-o that doesnt give real-time data.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling

3 days at AZLRO rally broke rear pasenger side cargo window and transmission mount had a blast though won a power tank

Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nychaze
So I installed the Glowshift oil filter sandwich plate a adapter so that i could monitor oil temp and pressure... i was going to install the gauges on the knee panel that drops down below the steering wheel but after cutting 1 of the wholes for the gauge to come through i realized that the dial was set too far back in and couldn't be seen from the drivers seat... woops...

So i set them on top of the steering column and left the whole for a while...decided the other week to fill that whole with something less important...that didnt need to be read constantly...a volt gauge!

I ordered a digital one so that the numbers were closer to the face of the gauge and can be seen better from the drivers seat.

Almost forgot...also installed a trailer brake controller for a 4-place snowmobile trailer I picked up recently (you can see it below the volt gauge...best place i could find to mount it...

if you have gauges or other gadgets mounted up please share...i feel like my drivers side keeps getting smaller, was thinking about mounting the oil temp and pressure on adjustable pod on the ceiling by the sunroof buttons...
Check out how I mounted the gauge pod on my disco. Just another option...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...uge-pod-44059/

Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by willrok13
Check out how I mounted the gauge pod on my disco. Just another option...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...uge-pod-44059/
Nice! I was planning(halfway through doing) on making one like that, except I bought an extra a-pillar trim so I could actually make it one piece and replace the speaker.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to put on exhaust manifold today. Got the old one off pretty easy, got the new one in without too much trouble. Went to put last bolt in and it wouldn't start. Tried everything I could and it still doesn't want to catch. Now probably won't have time to work on it again until this coming Friday.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Did you unplug the Crank Shaft Position sensor by chance?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank shaft

Were you talking about my exhaust manifold? No I didn't. Didn't remember anything about that in the rave and I didn't do it last time when I just replaced the seals thinking the leak was there. Well maybe it was unplugged, I had the front pretty much apart to replace leaky seal on front cover. (when I did the seals previously)

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Did you unplug the Crank Shaft Position sensor by chance?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?