Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Almost have my engine back out to find the cause of the no start.
I also found a leaking freeze plug on each side of the block!

I installed new freeze plugs and they were tight fits to press in, but then I still JB Welded them so that there was an extra layer because I didn't want them to leak.

A real freeze in temp would break the 28 pound strength of the JB Weld bond, so I wasn't too concerned about overkill hurting me here.

Somewhat sure that even being one spoke/link off in timing will prevent a 4.6 V8 from starting up. A broken timing key ought to qualify.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Some photos from a trip last weekend. Did the Brewer Lake and Strawberry Lake trails in the High Sierra's near shaver lake.

Safe to say the transfer case rebuild was a success - put on about 900 miles.

Did some float tube fishing and general camping activities

Damage:
- rock sliders bent upwards a bit into the sill, doors make contact w/ sliders. Took a 6 foot pry bar and bent them back... good to go (for now). Not sure what else I can do there
- busted tail light
- destroyed passenger headlight (tight spot next to a tree, fell off a rock into the tree, had to sideways winch out of it)
- tore a diff guard bolt off, now its ****-eyed, sprung a small diff leak (I think its just loose bolts on the cover plate)
- lots of scraping and dents on the undercarriage

Clearance was a real issue... dreaming of the day of putting on 35s or 37s mud terrains with lockers
Fun! That's doing it right.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:11 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I installed new freeze plugs and they were tight fits to press in, but then I still JB Welded them so that there was an extra layer because I didn't want them to leak.

A real freeze in temp would break the 28 pound strength of the JB Weld bond, so I wasn't too concerned about overkill hurting me here.

Somewhat sure that even being one spoke/link off in timing will prevent a 4.6 V8 from starting up. A broken timing key ought to qualify.

I'll be removing all 7 freeze plugs and doing them myself this time, and I was going to use JB Weld too.
2 out of 7 leak, and the engine didn't even start, I have no confidence the other 5 now.
Glad to hear JB Weld worked for you.
I'm 100% positive I timed the engine correctly as well. Given the tight cam key fit, my money is that is where it broke.
Time will tell.
Weather permitting, I may get the engine out tomorrow.
I'm really out of motivation at this point.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'll be removing all 7 freeze plugs and doing them myself this time, and I was going to use JB Weld too.
2 out of 7 leak, and the engine didn't even start, I have no confidence the other 5 now.
Glad to hear JB Weld worked for you.
I'm 100% positive I timed the engine correctly as well. Given the tight cam key fit, my money is that is where it broke.
Time will tell.
Weather permitting, I may get the engine out tomorrow.
I'm really out of motivation at this point.
Pulling the motor is the only bad part. Once the motor is out, I love working on it.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed 2 flats from last night.

I spent the morning changing a front and a rear flat. I thought somebody slashed my tires. It was just too odd to have two flats from the night before.
Turns turns out I had a couple of screws in one and a huge gash on the edge of the sidewall on the other. Road hazard huh.
I haven't bought used tires in many years and several vehicles. had that sickening feeling to my stomach as I looked at the tread and overall General condition of the tires putting them back on the Rover.
It get a chance to crawl underneath and take a look at the front propeller. - woo hoo! Mine is serviceable! I've never owned a four-wheel drive before and this is all brand new to me. Really wish I could catch up on all of this overdue maintenance so I can get to put in the fun stuff on. Was going to start with the lift I think now I'll start with new tires and convert from R18 to R16.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I started my process of scraping the frame and putting on Rust Extenze followed by Rustoleum rubberized Undercoating. It's a dirty annoying job, but overdue.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Pulling the motor is the only bad part. Once the motor is out, I love working on it.
Getting it out isn't bad, especially compared to most vehicles.
And since this is a do-over, everything is clean, and was anti-siezed, so it came apart easily.
My D2 is right outside my garage door, so Saturday and yesterday's rain kept me from getting the engine out.
Just torque converter and bell housing bolts left, motor mount bolts are broken loose.
Weather permitting, I'll have it out soon...and can find out what broke, yay.
Can't you just feel my enthusiasm?!
And, if for some reason the heads come off(no plans and I hope not), then it's studs and cometic gaskets for me too!
Your D2 is doing so well with them and the Crower cam, it gives me hope, lol.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Changed out my drag link and track bar. No more front end wobble when going over road defects!

Old 08-14-2018, 12:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Lueders
Changed out my drag link and track bar. No more front end wobble when going over road defects!
It’s amazing how much a noticeable difference it is after having solid steering components.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Almost have my engine back out to find the cause of the no start.
I also found a leaking freeze plug on each side of the block!
The old ones didn't leak, but I had new ones pressed in at the machine shop since I was rebuilding the thing.
I am disgusted with these people, and here's why.
They are still in business, mon-fri, but their website no longer works.
I have to post this for any future readers.
I took my 04, 4.6 block and crank to Kowalski Racing, Rustburg/Lynchburg, Va
Big Racing engine machine shop,in business for many years, blah, blah.
Gutted to hear you are going through this. If I were closer I would come give you a hand.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (08-14-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?