Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did some 4th of July wheeling

Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

What did I do with my Discovery II today?

Found stuff that I did not use from the "head gasket parking lot replacement ordeal in Boulder, CO".

Flickr: Landroverdude2's Photostream

Cleaned out the garage a bit and found unused parts.
As a service to BB members and to you all, they are priced way way less than I paid for them:

These may get you out of a jam..

Land Rover Discovery 2 Victor Reinz Complete Engine Gasket Set | eBay

Land Rover Exhaust Manifold 3 8 Screw Bolt SETX5 Discovery ERR6734 | eBay

Land Rover Discovery I Cruise Control Vacuum Pump Actuator 1994 to 1998 | eBay

Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently I left the rear sunroof open yesterday.... so this evening, I found rain around every curve! Oh, and wet rear seats!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 AM
4wd Low

Ah.... Fun topic... Tonight I finished dual fan set up (electric). I dropped in a 4.8 with tophats and a few goodies incl. cam. One important addition was a auto meter temp gauge with programmable warning led and an oil gauge (both auto meter). So..... Watching the temps is somewhat unsettling, even with 180 t stat, these disco 2's will climb in temp when pushed slow or traffic etc. the OE fan is triggered by ac or ECM commands at high temp threshold. Too high for my liking. Anyways, my toy from dys past was a Bronco with a sick 460 ci stuffed with cam, rollers, demon 800cfm carb and single stage nitrous. Rolling about on 38's. I mention this by way of explaining that this same elec fan set up kept that dude temp controlled and I flogged it all the time. Thus, confident my rework to disco would work. Variable 2 speed controller with infinite thresholds to cut in and cut out. Anyways, trick is that the shroud is integrated with fans and literally by luck covers exactly the whole core of radiator! So with stock shroud now in the "disco pile" along with boogered viscous, it's a flat dream with all the room. Hoses went like they belonged with housing and just made a few adjustments. Ran her tonight and she flies up the road (steep 800' incline dirt road to house. Climb 800 ft in maybe 1/4 mile each day... Temps before were up to 230 degrees. Mind you, if you are not aware, the "not really" a gauge in dash never leaves middle those don't jump to the next section on sweep till 240 deg if memory serves. Point being, most folks have no clue that their disco may be running higher than okay for a long time hey have no indication by way of gauge. The list of "changes" and improvements is staggering, so is the cost, but I made the fateful decision to go with a motor with top hats as its the only way to go IMHO. My 03 tossed its lunch without warning via #3 liner (fatigue in casting of block and being a bastard 03 in "the vin range" I went with a UK short block solving the dreaded issues we all know of. Now waiting for my CDL nose piece to arrive and then I'll dive into that.
Anyways, after everything was installed and I pulled back in tonight at 10pm, the only thing overheating and steaming is my girlfriend.... -

Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Drifting
Exclamation Ignition Wires are definitely a PITA!

Well that was my first under the hood on my new (to me) Disco. I think the wires and plugs were original with all 80Kmi on'em! And, I agree with caning the designer that put the coil pack on the back of the intake manifold.

Thanks to the sticky I made it through. Took me a while, but The Punisher (his name) definitely runs better. I will add two items that helped out with the original sticky post and that was the under the hood version of the wiring and cylinder position diagram and the advice to remove the SAI tube bracket.

Getting the bracket out of there is only two more bolts (Don't drop them!) and it gives a lot more wiggle room. Print out the diagram and use it as a check list to make sure you put it all back right. With the diagram I was able to remove all the wires, verify the correct length on each one by Magnecor (as they are not marked and factory ones were) and put them back no problem. If your wires are not marked with the cylinder then do so before removing them (serious recommendation).

As good as the job went the first thing The Punisher did when I got it out on the road was to throw SAI codes and is still doing it. I don't know what's up with that, but I've decided that one of the things Disco's do best is throw codes...to damn many.

Back later when I figure this one out. I've already started on the posts and have more to read.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Please post a picture of your new belt routing minus the extra pulley and the type of belt you put in.

Good work!

In my book - less things spinning means less failure.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Sold it. Got 2 grand for it. Bought a VW TDI. 45 MPG.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 AM
4wd Low

Changed the spark plugs to E3-48's. They were possibly the originals as the center electrodes were almost gone. Also got some new shoes put on it. 235/85/16 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM
4wd Low

No one worked on their Disco from when I posted last night untill now?
Installed a Terrafirma 2 inch kit along with a TF steering dampner. Very easy install even with a decent amount of rust on everything. Took me about 2.5 hours, I am used to rear leaf springs which can be a pain.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yesterday I made a lot of progress on my ARB compressor install, it's pretty much done, and works.

Today I rescued a Series I, Series II, and Series III from the woods. Owned and stuck by the same guy.
Name:  fKkXEPy.png
Views: 12
Size:  767.8 KB

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?