Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 891 Likes on 643 Posts

There's no plastic connector in that location in my truck. It still has the original, I guess it's called molded, hose with branches coming in from the heater and reservoir. I suppose that's its own time bomb waiting to happen.

The top hose got replaced 8½ years ago, a few weeks after I finished replacing the headgaskets. With the system pressurized again after the headgaskets were replaced the next weakest points in the system were revealed.

First was the throttle body heater, and then just a few days after that the bleeder screw fitting in the original hose blew out while I was driving home from work! Scared the crap out of me with steam everywhere, right after I'd declared victory with the headgaskets! I was able to plug the hose just enough with a golf tee and duct tape to limp home. Whew!

Old 12-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

"First was the throttle body heater, and then just a few days after that the bleeder screw fitting in the original hose blew out while I was driving home from work! Scared the crap out of me with steam everywhere, right after I'd declared victory with the headgaskets! I was able to plug the hose just enough with a golf tee and duct tape to limp home. Whew!"

mln01, that is a total MacGyver move!! Talk about using what's available.....

Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Since K-mart is no longer around in Canada since the late 1990's, I found this mechanic creeper at a local pawn shop for $10. Brought it home, did a light sand and a dab of orange wax, cleaned the wheels and add a shot of lithium grease. A reborn of the 1970's. No more crawling around on the grass trying to work under the Land Rover.

1970's vintage K-mart mechanic creeper

Old 12-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Install - Attempted

Tried and failed to correctly install a new water pump on my disco 2 today. Scraped what I could of the old gasket off and used a high-Tac glue to put the new gasket in place but clearly it wasn’t enough, coolant pissing from everywhere! In the alternative words of Ice Cube, today was NOT a good day!

Old 12-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Those gaskets are damn near paper thin. The scraping has to be gentle with no gouging and good cleaning.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoJo The Giraffe
Those gaskets are damn near paper thin. The scraping has to be gentle with no gouging and good cleaning.
I tried, between scraping the old one off (can't promise there was no gouging..) and messing around with the stupid pinch-clamp (that's what I'm calling it) to get it over the new water pump fitment I scraped up and bruised my knuckles and my ego. I'm bowing out of this one and taking it to the mechanic tomorrow. Fingers crossed I don't blow a head gasket getting it there!

Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 PM

At least you are looking at 2-3 hours of a mechanic's time.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

On the hose on the water pump I’ve always used a little WD40 to help it to slide on. Gasket wise clean it the best you can then lightly coat the waterpump with a thin coat of Right Stuff, apply the gasket to the waterpump & the Right Stuff will hold the gasket in place. Then do another thin layer of Right Stuff on the front cover, install the water pump and start a few bolts while holding it. Then lightly tighten it up giving it about 5 min, then torque down & call it a day. The Right Stuff should help seal up any knicks on the aluminum surfaces.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water and Mud Crossing

Before I even start, some are going to say I'm stupid or I shouldn't do this or whatever, but just remember, to each their own and I bought my d2 for this reason in mind. So, we had a few inches of rain the other day and I decided to head down to the river and check it out. Well, of course it was up and there was water in the road. I grew up on this river and know it I side and out. I came to a spot where the road dipped down so I decided to see how this thing would do. I haven't really done any upgrades other than my 285/75/16 Wildpeak A/T. I've replaced some things but not upgraded. The water was at the bottom of the door, then half way up the tire, then over the hood for about 5 seconds. I made it to the other side and finally exhaled! But then remembered I had to cross it to get back, luckily, had absolutely zero problems. Truck acted like a champ, during and after, minus just the small amount of water through the doors, just enough to make the carpet by the door wet about 4" inward.

I honestly, expected to be stuck either in the middle or on the wrong side lol. I'm pretty amazed.

Now, last "flood" when crossing mud, I wasn't so lucky. Going one way was fine, so going back should be the same right? No. Not the case. I was going to slow on the way back across and there was a log under the mud that I couldn't see and front tires hit it, and I just stopped. I lost all momentum and was high centered. Well, mybuddy came down in his big John deere 4x4 tractor and that wasn't enough, had to have a second big John deere 4x4 tractor. Once I broke the crust of the mud, I was done for. To my surprise, still absolutely zero problems. I even crawled under the truck the next day and there wasn't any mud under there. I've been real impressed how, other than oil from the engine, nothing sticks to the bottom of this thing. Lol. Here are a few pics of the mud, I'll try to get video of water on YouTube soon.

and the last picture is just for fun, truck, side by side or 4wheeler, it's all about having as much fun as possible.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Clean the gasket surface with a green scotch bite pad. Also, no need for glue, sometimes it can cause the gasket to move around.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?