Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Are you using a good quality 6 point impact socket?

This vibration will usually break the static tention of the surrounding corrosion.

Brian.
'static tention?' Did you mean fragile tension?
I've been listening to Depeche Mode this weekend and have blurbs running thru my head lol. Don't mind me - it's the weekend and I'm lonely.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Met up with John (Johnny-Bones from LRF) and got my new wheels/tires. They look very nice to bad my D2 is completely covered in pollen right now!

Old 02-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Pulled the heads a few weeks ago and found the engine block was damaged and a slipped sleeve. So this weekend I started to pull out the remaining items out in order to pull the engine. Pulled the exhaust manifolds, torque converter bolts, starter and the lower bolts which connect the engine to the transmission. Drained the oil and pulled the oil filter but got stopped by not having a 19 mm deep socket to disconnect the engine mount brackets. So I switched to assembling the cherry picker I picked up from Harbor Freight. Should finish the motor mounts and the upper engine/transmission bolts later this week and pull the engine next weekend!

Partially disconnected!

Starter and head

Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Pulled the heads a few weeks ago and found the engine block was damaged and a slipped sleeve. So this weekend I started to pull out the remaining items out in order to pull the engine. Pulled the exhaust manifolds, torque converter bolts, starter and the lower bolts which connect the engine to the transmission. Drained the oil and pulled the oil filter but got stopped by not having a 19 mm deep socket to disconnect the engine mount brackets.
The motor mount nuts are 18mm heads, not 19mm. I know because I once rounded one off using what I thought was an 18mm wrench that turned out to be a 19mm. Oops. Or perhaps you're talking about the motor mount brackets that are bolted to the block. Don't know about them.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Good catch! Thanks!

Old 02-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Remote start and battery boost switch

After letting it languish in a box in my garage for 5 years, I finally got around to wiring up an Avital 4103 remote start and tied it in to the interior lock/unlock switch for added convenience. I decided to skip messing with the alarm arm/disarm function for now, at the risk of immobilizing my ride. So as long as I don't lock it with the key at the driver's door or use the factory fob (which is flaking out anyway) I shouldn't be setting off any alarms.

Also, after having my Cole Hersee dual battery isolator installed for about 5 years, I finally got the status light and boost switch wired into my dash using a salvage rear defog momentary switch and one of the blank spots where the SLS switch would be. I even made a swanky little BATT sticker for it. It got a little tedious, as I did have to reverse the orientation of the status LED wired into the guts of that switch. Next order of minutia is to change that LED to a green one. Orange lights don't mean "Normal" in this pilot's brain.

Last edited by G150driver; 02-26-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 02-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by G150driver
After letting it languish in a box in my garage for 5 years, I finally got around to wiring up an Avital 4103 remote start and tied it in to the interior lock/unlock switch for added convenience. I decided to skip messing with the alarm arm/disarm function for now, at the risk of immobilizing my ride. So as long as I don't lock it with the key at the driver's door or use the factory fob (which is flaking out anyway) I shouldn't be setting off any alarms.
So how do you lock the truck when you're not in it?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
So how do you lock the truck when you're not in it?
An added function of this model of remote starter is a remote lock/unlock. The lock/unlock button by the clock can be pretty easily tapped for this task. The only caveat is that since the lock and unlock poles aren’t isolated from one another when the switch is in the neutral position, blocking diodes have to be used to avoid inadvertently sending a negative trigger through the switch which would tell the BCU to both the lock and unlock simultaneously.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Flipped my stock rear tire carrier to mount my full size spare.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-27-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Are those grinding marks on the upper intake ports on all rover heads? All of my ports have them. Same spot. Looks like someone started to port and gave up. Lol

How do these bearings look?

Motor has over 220k

Pulled the heads last night. I used a new impact socket with Brian’s directions. Worked perfectly. Thanks Brian!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?