Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I have used the hella 500 driving lights on several different rigs over the last 20+ years. I have always liked their long distance reach and a nice focused beam in the road ahead, in Colorado i use them driving mountain roads to pick up deer and elk way ahead of time. I have always been happy with them.
this latest set i installed on the disco 2 are crap. Instead if a nicely focused beam they are throwing a donut shaped circle of light. Two huge circles with a dark hole in the beam. So i replaced them today. With new led lighting. Unfortunately made in china, but they seem to be much brighter, 30 degree spot flood combos,

hella

new led

The following 3 users liked this post by baileyrockhound:
ckadventure (11-04-2020), Richard Gallant (10-30-2020), The_OGCJR (10-31-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:46 AM
Mudding

One of my first projects when i bought the disco last month was a new radio, this rig came with the a single din am fm radio no subwoofer.

yesterday i got around to installing new door speakers, these are the mid/woofers out of an mtx component set, the OEM tweeters works fine so I'm still using those

The following 3 users liked this post by baileyrockhound:
JUKE179r (10-30-2020), Richard Gallant (10-30-2020), whowa004 (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:19 PM
Mudding

I fabricated new 1.5 inch spacers for the front crossmember when the 3 inch lift went on, at the time I had plenty of space between the two.
after I corrected the caster in the front axle I noticed the driveshaft was making contact
with the crossmember when on the lift, both sides of the axle off the ground. I flexed the rig out on the shop and it seemed to have room under normal conditions, but having the shaft bound up everytime I changed the oil does not please me either.
I made a quick adjustment to the crossmember. Not sure if this method works for other lifts. Bear in mind I already had installed the spacers and have a crossmember that can be removed easily with new hardware etc.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-31-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:30 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You know when your........

I am not trying to push the OCD (CDO) issues with wiring and making sure we are good but crap, I should have been done a month ago....
So, I am still making sure all the relays, wiring, lights and my OCD will be perfect. As I go through the Rover I am finding the bull**** that was done to sell this baby gurl fast.
Then there is then **** I want to put on.
So here we go, I am seeing different comments about the thermostat and how to keep the engine cooler. I have seen this picture and others on here saying this works the best, but also seeing people using this and keeping the original thermostat but putting it near the radiator.
So what is the best answer?
How do I keep from draining the battery after I am following the directions on wiring properly? Add another battery, get a stronger cranking alternator, crying, get those optima battery?

Still looking for someone and group in the Eastbay area of Oakland to meet up and have coffee or just find a good set of friends.... Non Stalkerish......

Old 10-31-2020, 05:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Docgrievous
I am not trying to push the OCD (CDO) issues with wiring and making sure we are good but crap, I should have been done a month ago....
So, I am still making sure all the relays, wiring, lights and my OCD will be perfect. As I go through the Rover I am finding the bull**** that was done to sell this baby gurl fast.
Then there is then **** I want to put on.
So here we go, I am seeing different comments about the thermostat and how to keep the engine cooler. I have seen this picture and others on here saying this works the best, but also seeing people using this and keeping the original thermostat but putting it near the radiator.
So what is the best answer?
How do I keep from draining the battery after I am following the directions on wiring properly? Add another battery, get a stronger cranking alternator, crying, get those optima battery?

Still looking for someone and group in the Eastbay area of Oakland to meet up and have coffee or just find a good set of friends.... Non Stalkerish......

@Extinct has a great inline thermostat kit. Send him a. Message and he’ll hook you up. Everything you need is included plus instructions for about $20 more than what you’re looking at.

jastutte (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Leds

Which leds did you get? I got a set of 140k lumens that leave much to be desired.

Originally Posted by baileyrockhound
I have used the hella 500 driving lights on several different rigs over the last 20+ years. I have always liked their long distance reach and a nice focused beam in the road ahead, in Colorado i use them driving mountain roads to pick up deer and elk way ahead of time. I have always been happy with them.
this latest set i installed on the disco 2 are crap. Instead if a nicely focused beam they are throwing a donut shaped circle of light. Two huge circles with a dark hole in the beam. So i replaced them today. With new led lighting. Unfortunately made in china, but they seem to be much brighter, 30 degree spot flood combos,

hella

new led

Old 10-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redrover75
Which leds did you get? I got a set of 140k lumens that leave much to be desired.
i got them off amazon, they are offroadtown led 708264
they seem well built
I have not had them on the road yet to see if they are worth keeping

Old 11-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I finally fixed my two leaky sunroofs. I installed new 3D printed hose connectors, used 3M Marine sealant between the frames and the roofs as well as the glass bolts, and installed new rubber gaskets. While I had it apart I decided to add sound-heat insulation to the roof and redo the headliner with some material I picked up on vacation in Hawaii last year. Now everyday driving the truck reminds me of the islands

The following 5 users liked this post by TimInNova:
boston4 (11-02-2020), Discorama (11-02-2020), No Doubt (11-26-2020), The_OGCJR (11-08-2020), whowa004 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Started scrubbing carpets. Not the most fun but satisfying as they get cleaner

ckadventure (11-22-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

TimInNova that headliner is amazing, gives it a great look

TimInNova (11-02-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?