Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at an OM617 Turbo Diesel. I really want to buy it and swap it into Disco, but I don't want the hassle of swapping it in!

I am taking the engine to a shop this weekend and we are gonna test the block. Hopefully there is no issues, but if there is, who knows what route we could take....

Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Added some new parts.

What did you do with your DII today?-image-4153545441.jpg

What did you do with your DII today?-image-3081131099.jpg

What did you do with your DII today?-image-4291319027.jpg

What did you do with your DII today?-image-1430392187.jpg

Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by symaxwell
Added some new parts.

Where'd you get those sway bar disconnects? They look like the slickrock fab ones that I have but not the same color.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm definitely getting those rear lamp guards. I really like the look of those compared to the metal ones. Mine are rusted anyways.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Today?

How about ALL week ! ! !

Stripped the entire motor down to the block and pistons. Friday and Sunday. (Saturday was my sons bday so I didn't touch it)

Elbow hit the radiator and broke that little nipple off for the hose reservoir. Tuesday.

Junkyard on Wednesday for another radiator. The ONLY one I found was $40 and had rot on the bottom. The plastic tank on the side was in good shape. Swapped the plastic tanks, flushed the original rad, reinstall.

Painted the valve covers, installed head gaskets, intake gaskets, spark plugs, wires, new coolant reservoir, resealed the oil pan, cleaned and scrubbed the rocker arms, wire brushed the valves, cleaned the intake runners and heads of all carbon. Sandblasted and painted exhaust manifolds with high temp ceramicoat.

Put it all back together this week and its back in business.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 820 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
wire brushed the valves
Does this mean that with all that work, which is indeed impressive, you didn't take the heads to a machine shop to be checked and refreshed as needed?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 820 Likes on 597 Posts

I helped a neighbor replace his front brake pads and rotors. Needed a caliper too on the right side. Have any of you ever seen a rotor come apart like this? The "plate" portion of the rotor had broken away from the center portion and was spinning freely. Looks like the caliper seized up a looooong time ago and wore down the rotor until it broke. The inside pad was against the most severely worn side of the caliper. Look at how thin the severely worn side is compared to the "good" side. Yet he said he never noticed the truck pulling to one side or the other when braking. Amazing.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-broken-rotor.jpg  

Last edited by mln01; 07-14-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I helped a neighbor replace his front brake pads and rotors. Needed a caliper too on the right side. Have any of you ever seen a rotor come apart like this? The "plate" portion of the rotor had broken free and was spinning freely. Looks like the caliper seized up a looooong time ago and wore down the rotor until it broke. The inside pad was against the most severely worn side of the caliper. Look at how thin the severely worn side is compared to the "good" side. Yet he said he never noticed the truck pulling to one side or the other when braking. Amazing.
Wow. I can't believe the driver couldn't feel anything!?!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Land Rover Discovery Series II 2003 - SUPER LOW MILES 33,500

Tried convincing the wife she would like driving a Disco as well!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Does this mean that with all that work, which is indeed impressive, you didn't take the heads to a machine shop to be checked and refreshed as needed?
No. Why?

I used a straightedge and a light and checked the straightness of each head.

Taking the heads to the shop is NOT always the answer. It can change the relationship between the heads, pan gasket and intake leading to far worse problems.

I understand the problems with a warped head...but being military I had to leave so I had to make a decision to get it done or put it off for two weeks...I rolled the dice.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?