Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the kit called that lets you lock CDL from inside the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a used CDL shifter, they go bad when they dont get used.
They will make sure it works when they take it off the truck, so as long as you use it once a month you will be fine with a used one.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer

A D1 linkage as stated DOES fit, I have added on to my friends '99' TD5, how ever, there is a negative side to the D1 setup, because its a "fixed" linkage and its bolted driectly on the transfer case it transmits more "vibration" / noise into the cabin, not a massive amount and to be honest I could live with it, but its worth mentioning,

The only vibrations and nose I get in my cabin from my CDL shifter is if I leave the keys to my work van setting to close to the shifter, when I climb a hill on the expressway on my way to work the keys will vibrate and make a rapid "clinking" noise, but that is the only noise, I move the keys and she is quiet as a church mouse.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get this vibration at 75 miles an hour and I can feel it in the seat, the change holder thing starts rattlin so ill grab it and it doesnt rattle, but the vibration is still there...
Ive read your posts spike that disco drivetrains have a tendency to clunk a bit from slop in the drivetrain... i have a tom woods front shaft, maybe it isnt perfectly balanced and causing a slight vibration?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

I have heard of alot of people who have switched to a Tom Woods and have had balance issues.
If your vibration is not to bad you can try and removing the driveshaft, and then turning it 1/4 of a turn and then bolt it back up.
Sometimes it does matter how it is bolted to the t-case and diff, the flanges on them can be picky, so if you were to have removed yoiur driveshaft and then reinstalled it 180* from how it was removed can cause a vibration, I dont know why, but as a general rule once a driveshaft is installed it needs to be put back in the exact same spot as before.
Some driveline shops will mark the ends of the driveshaft and flanges to make sure that it gets put back the exact same way.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Winching

well, when i found out that i needed new shaft I went with discomikes advice and marked the flange of the tcase and on the old shaft (with a blue paint marker when the new one arrived and I had the neighborhood service/tires guy with a lift put it in I showed him the marks and told him that it matters how it gets put back in, see my reference marks... cant be sure he put it the new shaft in exactly as the old one came out, so what I'll do is try the quarter turn trick and take a ride on the highway and just see if theres still that little vibration

Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

It may take several tries to get it right, but keep turning it a 1/4 turn until you find the "sweet" spot or are back where you started.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Winching

so if it turns out nothing improves, what do i check for next? tire balance? if you looked at my 16's theres a couple nasty dings around the edges of them, previous owner sold it to me in that condition, he must've hit a curb and took a chunk out of the rims! but since ive owned it I have not had the wheels off of it, they could just need a balancing, rotation..... I cant wait to try getting them off hopefully not stuck on there, while theyre off ill do my brakes