Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find heated front windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Safelite quoted me $420 for a heated windsheild.
It's on my to do list. I'll see how much insurance will cover when I get it back on the road soon.
I thought all the heated windsheilds were just at the wipers. I've never heard of the whole windsheild. How does that work? Wouldn't it have to have visible heating element lines accross it??
I don't care about the whole windsheild either, as the defroster is good enough for me. I want the heat on the wiper area for driving in snow, to keep the blades from freezing, and having to keep getting out to tap the ice and slush off of them.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
It's on my to do list. I'll see how much insurance will cover when I get it back on the road soon.
I thought all the heated windsheilds were just at the wipers. I've never heard of the whole windsheild. How does that work? Wouldn't it have to have visible heating element lines accross it??
I don't care about the whole windsheild either, as the defroster is good enough for me. I want the heat on the wiper area for driving in snow, to keep the blades from freezing, and having to keep getting out to tap the ice and slush off of them.
If you look reaaaaal close you can see little wires that go across.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Before you throw big bucks at the windshield, ensure you have a 12 volt power to the supply plugs under the scuttle and the fuse/relay is OK. My heated windshield has very tiny vertical wires embedded in/between the glass (it's a Ford patent in the UK) which heat up and dispel the mist or frost. It uses an extreme amount of 12 volt power so use it with caution with the engine running.

PS: Years ago in the UK I ensured my insurance covered kosher original LR parts before I insured with them otherwise they specified dodgy Autoglass (Korean made) windshields.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 02-02-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Sixpack577 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

The whole windshield is heated on OEM ones. It truly depends on your state and insurance. I seem to recall that the safelite guy told me the difference between a replacement and OEM was marginal. He ordered the OEM, and just charged off the difference as good will since they do a ton of glass for my insurance company. You really need t check with your insurance company. One of the few claims that they cannot raise you rates for.

Sixpack577 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I got one at the local glass shop in PDX, it was the non OEM brand but works just fine and is just as thick. Actually the tech said it was twice as thick as Prius glass. I think it was priced at $450 but insurance covered part of it for me as it was damaged by a rock.
I am in PDX and need a heated one, where did you go?

Old 02-02-2018, 01:59 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Action Auto Glass SE 6th & Mill. But make sure they get your A pillar clips right, if not they will order new ones and do it correctly under warranty.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Before you throw big bucks at the windshield, ensure you have a 12 volt power to the supply plugs under the scuttle and the fuse/relay is OK. My heated windshield has very tiny vertical wires embedded in/between the glass (it's a Ford patent in the UK) which heat up and dispel the mist or frost. It uses an extreme amount of 12 volt power so use it with caution with the engine running.

PS: Years ago in the UK I ensured my insurance covered kosher original LR parts before I insured with them otherwise they specified dodgy Autoglass (Korean made) windshields.
Thanks, I'll do that.
My 04 apparently did have a heated windshield from the factory.
When I had the Hawkeye the heated shield was already turned on, the switch in the dash was there, and the circuit tested good with the Hawkeye.
But, I will take a test light to the 2 plugs below the cowl, turn the switch on and check for power at both plugs.
It is a land Rover, so I'm only fixing 8 to 47 things at the moment.
Once everything is done, I'll take it to a local shop for a State Inspection sticker, $16. It'll get rejected for the cracked windshield, and they'll put a Rejection sticker on it(which is only $15), making it legal to drive for 16 days.
Then I can pull the D1 wiper arms I put on, and the cowl, and call my insurance.
I haven't called to see how much they'll pay, just because I have too much to do it right now.
Once the new windshiled is in and working, I'll put the trim on, and I have new pieces for each side(don't want them breaking anything, I can do that by myself). Back to the shop, they see the new glass, I pay them $1, and they put a new State Inspection sticker in the bottom left of the windshield.
From there, I plan to drive it daily.
I live 3 miles from work, so I hope I can make it, lol.
I appreciate everyone's feedback.