General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Disco cranking strong but not firing up

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Disco cranking strong but not firing up

I bought this Discovery a few weeks ago on the very cheap because it had been in an accident. I replaced a bent tie rod, got an alignment, replaced the power steering reservoir and reset the inertia switch. After all that, it started right up and I've been driving it for a few weeks.

And like out of a movie...It was windy and raining all night. This morning, with my rain coat on, I go to start my car to leave for the day and it turns over strong but never fires. Tried resetting the alarm by locking and unlocking several times. I tried to reset the inertia switch again. I also turned my key on and off a few times to prime the fuel just in case my pump is weak. Nothing. After the easy stuff, I thought maybe Crank Position Sensor. Spent several hours replacing it and still nothing.

Is there something else I should check? My gauge reads over 1/4 tank, there are no dash lights on. It gave me no indication of anything failing. It certainly acts like it's out of gas or not sparking. Any suggestions? Any fuses or switches or anything to check?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1. Have you confirmed spark with a spark plug laying on manifold?

2. The CKP sensor can be mounted wrong with spacer / bolts etc. and the sensor is not in correct alignment to work. Very sensitive to spacing.

When you get it running, head out to the Loveless Cafe for breakfast....

Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Drifting

I'll be checking spark first thing. I read several posts about how it needed to be installed correctly and I was certain to put the spacers back where they came from.

And loveless is a classic...glad to hear you've been.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Ok, so I went out this morning and tried it out...still nothing. I thought, just on a whim, let me add some gas. I know the gas gauge reads almost half a tank...but I haven't had this truck long. Anyhow, long story short, I put in 4 gallons of premium. Primed the lines and it fired right up. Drove to the gas station and it took another 19 gallons.

It's crazy because it didn't act like it was out of gas when i was driving it. No hesitation, no stutter or anything. I just parked it and it wouldn't start.

Not sure if the forum has an "Idiot of the Month" award, but I'd like to be considered if it does.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Another victim of Rover gauges.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Drifting
Default 2003 Discovery II won't start

My 2003 Discovery II failed to start today for the first time. I seemed to notice a few days a ago, there was a little 'hesitation' when I started the engine one time. Yesterday was fine. Left the car in the garage, now it just won't start.

I had spark plugs and ignition wires all replaced a few months ago, followed the post here on this forum --- THANKS !! It has been running well since then.

I can tell it's not battery. Dashboard turns on ok.

When turn the key, can hear the fast paced tapping sounds somewhere behind/around the engine, but it won't start the engine.

Where should I be looking?

Today is Friday, sounds like tomorrow is the first Saturday I won't be able to drive my Disc.

Please advise!

Thanks
Tony

Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

hmmm.... the battery test is not the dashboard lighting up. The battery test is those tapping sounds not happening (most likely the solenoid ticking and trying to lock in, just not enough battery volts under load).

Unplug the alarm switch for the hood, to prevent immobilzation when you try to jump it off from another vehicle. Or remove battery and take to be tested by a parts store under load.

Also make sure battery cables and all big cables that bolt down in the under hood fuse box are clean and tight.

Could be bad starter.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Thank you so much for the advice. I will first go through those checking/verification.

Please bear with me for clarifying further:

1) Is the 'alarm switch' next to the windshield reservior? also called the 'bonnet' switch?

Or
2)if I don't jump by another car and won't touch the 'alarm switch', just to check/clean the battery, cables, etc.. Do I need to take any steps before disconnect the battery connectors (earth lead first, then the positive lead) ??

Thanks again!!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

bonnet switch = alarm switch. Unplug or keep depressed. If battery power comes back on, and for some reason alarm wakes up and thinks it was "armed" before it went to sleep (power lost), it may return to the armed state, sense that hood is open, and invoke imobilization. Because it is such a PITA when it happens, I just disconnect my hood switch.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Thought I wrote the thanks and my conclusion notes..

Anyhow, replaced battery, all was good!

I left the truck without electricity for a couple of hours - removed the old battery, went to store, came back to install the new one... during the time I placed a brick on top of the alarm switch.

The remote key, radio all worked fine with the new battery. All I had to reset was the clock.

Thanks again for the tips and advice.

This is a wonderful user group.

Best regards
Tony

----
2003 Discovery II, Blue, ~70,000 miles
New Jersey