LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Narrowing things down 2008 LR2 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 06:23 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LR2driver
You're probably not going to like this answer, but I would start by replacing the MAP sensor as Fly advised in post #24. It may not be directly related to the overheating during idling, but it’s something you can probably do yourself right now at minimal cost. Then reset the OBD codes.

At that point, after all your OBD codes have cleared, if you’re still overheating at idle then the fan and/or thermostat are the most likely culprits. At 130K miles, both are candidates for replacement anyway.

Back to the MAP sensor: In the Youtube video shown below, the guy replaces his MAP sensor during the first few minutes of the video. His Volvo has a little more working room than your LR2, but if you have a long slender arm you may be able to do the same as he did.

Additionally, I posted a few months ago on how to remove the MAP sensor once you have your hand on it:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e2/#post816702

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOgXNTbJEJI
Sweet I got the MAP so I will do that thanks!

Old 10-21-2022, 02:10 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the long delay. Started football coaching an it took all my time. I ended up ordering a replacement fan module attached. I took the module off the new fan and replaced the old one with the new module and problem solved. Thank You all for all the support in trying to figure this out. I still need a MAP sensor, but the car runs smooth and gets good gas mileage.

The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 02:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Cm3geese
Sorry for the long delay. Started football coaching an it took all my time. I ended up ordering a replacement fan module attached. I took the module off the new fan and replaced the old one with the new module and problem solved. Thank You all for all the support in trying to figure this out. I still need a MAP sensor, but the car runs smooth and gets good gas mileage.
How much did the fan module cost you?

Old 10-23-2022, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Cm3geese
Keep an eye on that, check for codes regularly... it won't set a CEL, but a bad fan or module will usually set a code for imminent fan failure.

My shop told me the module is not available OEM, only the entire fan assembly.

So individual modules for sale are either used (YMMV) or aftermarket... my guy says the aftermarket modules are chineesium junk, and won't last very long.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:42 PM
Pro Wrench

I've got an entire radiator assembly with module for sale, $185. Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted the safety margin of the twin-fan unit.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:48 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up

Did yall ever get to the bottom of this?

My 2012 LR2, 170k miles, is trying to overheat while sitting with the AC on. Took it to a shop and they couldn't give me a clear answer. Even said they couldn't replicate what it was doing. Took it home and trying to decide what to tackle myself first. Thermostat or MAP.

AC has been running **** for a while now, but its also been miserably hot in TX this month, so I had just chalked it up to that.

Anywayss, if anyone still gets notifications to this thread, send help!

Old 09-19-2023, 06:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Bubbles1155
Did yall ever get to the bottom of this?

My 2012 LR2, 170k miles, is trying to overheat while sitting with the AC on. Took it to a shop and they couldn't give me a clear answer. Even said they couldn't replicate what it was doing. Took it home and trying to decide what to tackle myself first. Thermostat or MAP.

AC has been running **** for a while now, but its also been miserably hot in TX this month, so I had just chalked it up to that.

Anywayss, if anyone still gets notifications to this thread, send help!
Maybe you should consider upgrading to a dual radiator fan unit. They are cheap to come by in the UK even with shipping.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
Maybe you should consider upgrading to a dual radiator fan unit. They are cheap to come by in the UK even with shipping.
I will look into it, thank you.