LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Have fun stay safe.

Sleeping in the lr3 is not to bad at all.

Oh and thanks!
I haven't done it but just having those fold flat seats make a big difference, probably the best interior layout i have seen in this size of vehicle.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I pull off on these long road trips and sleep frequently in my LR3. I fold the drivers side section flat, use a foam army PT mat, and a coleman camp mattress under my sleeping bag and pillow. Works pretty well for me but I'm 5'7" so our mileage may vary.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

I pull off on these long road trips and sleep frequently in my LR3. I fold the drivers side section flat, use a foam army PT mat, and a coleman camp mattress under my sleeping bag and pillow. Works pretty well for me but I'm 5'7" so our mileage may vary.
I'm 5'8" so bugger all in it.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Than you should be good to go.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Than you should be good to go.
I'm 6' and I have slept in mine many times. Very comfy....just be sure the childlocks are not engaged when you go to sleep or your midnight pee run could end badly!

You wheelin' on those tires?? If so I'm betting on the winch being used early and often. Have fun!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

That I am worked well so far, I'll have them out at Wintergreen in April so we will see how they do in round two.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, Simon here, reporting back (Username is nevill). Good trip, with no significant issues.

I took a few snapshots. Link to folder - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bu...AamdJ9ZO512-Xz

Lots of very fresh snow, on top of frozen snow, so very slippery conditions on the trails. I only have half-worn road tires, so not surprisingly I needed to use a shovel and winch quite often. I did air down the tires significantly soon after I got stuck a couple of times, which greatly helped with traction.

Pretty cold, about 15 degrees F when I arrived on Saturday morning at about 9am. Nice drive up from Madison, it was fun to see the sunrise.

The only 'damage' I did was front passenger (right side) Sway Bar Link broke - Top Ball Joint popped out. So I just removed the whole thing. Same thing happened 5 minutes after being on same trails last Summer - Too much articulation and pressure for that small Ball Joint, I suppose. Will be researching if there are more heavy duty Sway Bar Links available. Anybody know what are the biggest, best, strongest? I will probably just remove both Sway Bark Links before I next go up there. Anybody have any thoughts or comments on this? Bad idea?

Most 'interesting' stuck-situation is when I slid sideways and almost hit a small tree. Stopped 1 inch away from driver side. See photos. Unable to open driver side door. Had to get out on passenger side. Calculated that I could use my front winch and pull the vehicle sharply to the right, to swing the vehicle away from the tree, without making contact with it. Would have stopped winching if car was getting closer to tree, and would have used additional winching gear connected to back of vehicle. All good though - Only needed to use front winch. However, did not use enough revs, and battery died (did not want to have car in Drive, because I was concerned that I might 'drive' further into the tree, so had transmission in Neutral - Should have been revving up when winch was being used). I intentionally packed a spare battery, and had jumper cables, so all good. This Battery situation did cause a few errors, so I used my onboard code reader to clear them. Lesson learned - Need to keep engine revving when using Winch. And perhaps my Battery isn't in tip-top condition - I'll look into this.

Sleeping in the car was quite an experience, due to the cold weather. Got down to about 9 degrees F. Plenty of room in the car though. Twin air mattress fitted perfectly. Chose to have head next to tailgate, so that feet could stick through between front seats, and rest on top of center console. Deep cycle marine battery went dead at about 3am, even though it was only running my 60W CPAP machine. So spent the rest of the night very cold and not asleep.

I don't really have a lot of 'battery' knowledge, so this will be my next research project - Ideally I would really like to have a proper dual-battery setup. Very motivated to look into this. I know there's info available, but would also welcome your thought on this. My priority is to have it properly fitted, 100% user friendly, and basically automatic, maintenance free, and invisible - Don't want to have to think about it or be concerned about it, in other words.

Lots more snow overnight - About 6 inches on car, with lots of deep areas on ground due to high winds. None of the roads had been plowed when I left, so it was a gentle slow drive back into town to hose off all of the snow and ice from the wheels.

Good times.

Definitely motivated to kit out the vehicle with some more 'Camping' equipment and accessories.

Jumped online when I got home and bought a portable air compressor which is better than the (very small) one that I had. I know that the one I picked up from Amazon for $35 is not exactly 'professional', but it will hopefully be a good upgrade at a cheap price - Especially being able to screw it on to teh tire valve and walk away while it inflates the tire. Link -
Amazon Amazon

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention - I also bent a Fork. A plastic fork, while cooking a pot of Hash Browns, Sausages and Beans using my small camping stove kit with non-stick pans. Ha Ha !!

Cheers Simon.

The following users liked this post:
loanrangie (03-03-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a great adventure.

Got started on replacing my worn looking front hood letters. I got Land done before dinner

Also lubed the shift linkage on the 07.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_20180226_175347-1664x1248.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_20180226_175356-1664x1248.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_20180226_181208-1664x1248.jpg  
Old 03-02-2018, 12:47 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looking to top off engine coolant. Do you prefer the land rover brand XLC or what brand do you recommend thats available at any autozone/o'reilly auto/pep boys? Thanks in advance

Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

You can use dex-cool usually available by prestone... but, why are you topping off coolant? Where did it go?

It’s a closed system and any loss means you have a leak.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?