Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter shoes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
It's interesting that some consider snow tires for the Land Rover. To me it seems heavy enough, and even all season tires with decent sipes do just fine. Now the Infiniti we had sucked regardless of tire choice, but every Rover we have owned did great, as does my wifes Subaru on Michelins, Premier AS if memory serves. Don't have a desire to store tires, but do those of you that do fit snow tires really see a big difference? In Colorado its dry enough that snow and ice is kind of joke. We tend to golf between snow storms.
It's a great question. We had an LR4 for 7 years and never used winter tires. We live in Boston and regularly go up skiing in NH at the weekends and the LR4 with Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons was perfect. Never any concerns

However the new Discovery last winter with the Goodyear Eagle all seasons was very poor in light icy snow. It was most noticeable in braking where several times in a snow storm it locked up and glides 100+ yards with the ABS pumping and no reduction in speed.
I don't think it's the car itself as it simply seemed to be car to road traction - not the AWD system etc. so I think the Goodyear tires are just not good in those conditions. Anyone else experienced that? I have space to store winter tires so rather than trashing new Goodyear's it cost the same to get winters and I like the idea of the extra traction

I run dedicated winters on my Jag XF but that's rear wheel drive - so the difference is night and day!

Old 10-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I really need to get a set of 20" wheels so I can enjoy better tire choices.

Does anyone know off-hand what model year RRS and RR wheels fit our offset? How far back does it go?

Old 10-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
I really need to get a set of 20" wheels so I can enjoy better tire choices.

Does anyone know off-hand what model year RRS and RR wheels fit our offset? How far back does it go?

I used these sites to compare offsets and sizes between the models:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/land-rover/discovery-5/
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/land-rover/range-rover/

In the end, I bought 10-spoke wheels, which were fitted to the 06-09 RRS (third wheel here: https://www.originalwheels.com/landr...rt2007rims.php)