Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
I need to do that. Especially since I ditched axle seals and am running the hubs wet. Couldn't you just jack it up so the oil runs into the DS tube and overfill on the fill plug? Snorkel looks damn good too. You should thank fedex for breaking the plastic piece. It looks much better without.
Well I have to reseal the axle flange anyway which necessitates me pulling the axle halfshaft on the drivers side. Filling through there is just simply easier because its one less thing I have to do.

I do like the way it looks without that plastic piece, I just wish the SouthDown template didn't call for such a giant hole. They want you to make a big hole and then cover up the butchery with that plastic piece. I'd rather they start you off with a small hole and instruct you to trim and enlarge as necessary. All in all I'm happy.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Looks great. Thinking I'll do mine the same.

Is the top support just drilled into the pillar with sheet metal screws, or does it clamp on?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Looks great. Thinking I'll do mine the same.

Is the top support just drilled into the pillar with sheet metal screws, or does it clamp on?
Two sheetmetal screws . I may pull them and go with a couple rivnuts, but IDK.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you tell if an air cleaner would fit?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by slomatt
Thanks for the tips. I've got the windows out, tomorrow I'm hoping to find time to deal with the rust.

- Matt
You are welcome. Not sure if I'm too late, but.

I removed the surface rust with some scotch bright wheels on an air grinder. Used some rust reformer to turn any remaining rust to a hard paintable surface. I had grinded away a few tiny sections on the lip, so I used some metal tape to back it and applied a few thin coats of bondo. Then I painted with a rattle can from automotivetouchup.com and a few coats of clear. Rubbing compound to blend.

I then used clear silicone in the valley of the rubber gasket before re install. Just a little as too thick and it oozes out when pushing it back in.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Can you tell if an air cleaner would fit?
It probably would but the upper tube doesn't have a bend back to vertical, it stays diagonal. So the air cleaner wouldn't sit level.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

added the green LED to the clock, looks much better and easier to read too. Also crawled underneath and welded up the muffler that somehow magically disconnected itself. It is nice to get a day when the temp gets above 40 degrees outside!!

Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle the back seat non-working windows??

Last edited by jimvw57; 03-29-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
You are welcome. Not sure if I'm too late, but.

I removed the surface rust with some scotch bright wheels on an air grinder. Used some rust reformer to turn any remaining rust to a hard paintable surface. I had grinded away a few tiny sections on the lip, so I used some metal tape to back it and applied a few thin coats of bondo. Then I painted with a rattle can from automotivetouchup.com and a few coats of clear. Rubbing compound to blend.

I then used clear silicone in the valley of the rubber gasket before re install. Just a little as too thick and it oozes out when pushing it back in.
Coincidentally I just went through most of the same steps earlier today. I used a wire brush and a sanding pad to remove the loose rust, then applied rust converter. Tomorrow I'm going to prime and paint, and then attempt to get the windows back in.

I was worried that the leak would have caused the floorboards to rust, and while the padding is very damp there is no rust on the floor so I dodged a bullet there.

- Matt

Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TOM R
Piece of exhaust pipe and hammer tap it on
Worked like a charm! I didn't have a piece laying around, but a short 2.5 - 2.25 reducer did the job.

Thanks,
David

Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 AM
Mudding
Default Snorkel fit

Could do a few things again on the Disco

Installed Snorkel and had a perfect fit to the Element Filter.
Made asbestos heat shield and installed between filter casing and Vnt Turbo.
Installed Turbo boost guage and very happy to see boost up to 1.2 bar.
At cruising 110- 120 km/h boost on 0.9 bar with revs @ 2750 Rpm.
EGT 360 deg C

Steep incline, 2 km+ in fourth gear and revs at 3000 Rpm, boost 1 to 1.1 bar and EGT 550- 600 Deg C

Pull away changing into 2nd gear boost 0.7 @ 1350 Revs EGT 280.
When floored in 3 rd boost 1.2 Revs 3200 and EGT rising rapidly from 280 to 660.
Idle to 1100 revs Zero boost.

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-dash-display.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-heat-shield.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-snorkel-fitted.jpg  

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?