Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by socal1200r
MFU? Caught my attention because my CDL only goes into Hi and Neutral, won't go into Low or over to the left to lock...
Multi function unit on the back of the under dash fuse box, probly a coincidence cause my hi low worked before I pulled the trans, but after I reinstalled the trans no hi/low and an annoying tone from the box and key stuck in ignition, if I messed with the CDL tone would come and go, swapped mfu and steady tone, tried hi/low wow now works and tone gone, seems the tone is to let you know your in neutral in the transfer case

I do need to fix my drivers door pin switch dam wire is off and I can't pull it far enough to repair it

Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called a locksmith to see about getting my key blanks made into keys to replace the cracked key I got with the vehicle now that I was able to get the code from the dealership. Apparently this is a big deal so I'm now waiting for a call back from a special locksmith the next town over. While I realize I probably can't go to the hardware store and get a key copy made from my current key I would image any locksmith shop would be able to make me a key with the details of the tumblers for the key and a blank. Just waiting to laugh if I'm quoted $100 for a new key.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rover is at its new home after a solid 3 days of moving. Got my Rover flag up this morning as well.
Name:  IMAG1122_zpsbadfa9d0.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  228.1 KB

Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
The Rover is at its new home after a solid 3 days of moving. Got my Rover flag up this morning as well.
7 foot ceilings?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Bout time you got moved, only been talking bout it for months

Local rover club guy gave me a replacement rear a/c line for drivers side hope to get that on tommorow

Old 06-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Bout time you got moved, only been talking bout it for months

Local rover club guy gave me a replacement rear a/c line for drivers side hope to get that on tommorow
It takes time when they have to build the house. Glad it's finally done though.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got the roof basket secured. Picked up a set of Thule gutter rail clamps and crossbars thru the classifieds in here, and bought the basket thru WalMart's website. Couple irritating things about the basket though. The wind deflector fits VERY poorly, had to put the bolts thru the back with the nuts on the front at the top in order to get it to work. Also, the square bolts with **** fasteners were a joke, they were in NO way long enough to fit under the crossbar and be high enough to reach the basket, at least a half inch too short. But I was able to get some u-bolt hardware that worked, drove it around, retightened the nuts, then cut off the excess bolt length (after these pics were taken). And yes, I sticker-bombed the wind deflector, lol! Other pics show the other things I've done over the last week or two (new steering rods, rear cargo basket, new 245/75-16 tires on RRC wheels, etc). Found an old license plate frame, says "If Harley Made A Plane, Would You Fly In It?!", can't wait to see what kind of comments that's gonna get, lol...

Question on the rear steering rod and steering damper mount. Can someone look at that pic, and tell me if the knuckleheads that installed it have it oriented the right way? I'm thinking they have it backwards, in that the flat side for the damper mount should be directly at the bottom of the damper, and the flat piece that touches the steering rod, with the securing u-bolts, needs to be after it, not before it? The reason I say this is because I crawled under there a few days ago, and noticed that the mount was loose, and the reason why was because the u-bolts were too long, and they were touching the bottom of the damper, so no amount of tightening was going to fix that. So I removed the bolts and cut them, and mounted it the same way, but now I'm thinking it's backwards...

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-d1-sd_20140615a.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-d1-sd_20140615b.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-d1-sd_20140615c.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-d1-sd_20140615d.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-d1-sd_20140615e.jpg  

So what did you do to your Disco today?-d1-sd_20140615f.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is Disco-related, in that I used the Disco to haul this new trailer I picked up yesterday. Wasn't exactly in compliance, since I don't have the trailer lights hookup yet, but the wiring harness adapter is on the way from AB, should have it by mid-week.

Anyway, been looking for a multi-use trailer, didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, and decided to get this little beauty. It's home built, 4x6, pressure treated wood sides and floor, tilt bed, front and back sides are hinged to fold down, and it's got an older Chevy I beam axle for the 15" wheels, currently with 205/65 tires! Very sturdily built, much better than something I could've picked up at Harbor Freight, Lowe's, or Home Depot. I added some add'l reflectors on the sides and back, and put some tie-down hooks on the outside upper (8) and inside lower (8), which I put thru the angle iron for add'l strength (removed the carriage bolts and put the tie-down bolts thru those holes). Did some quick measurements, and I can go with a slightly bigger tire before I'd run into rubbing issues. So I'll be shopping around for a pair of 235/70-15 tires, preferably something with an AT tread pattern versus a highway tread pattern.

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615a.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615b.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615c.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615d.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615e.jpg  

So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615f.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615g.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-trailer_20140615h.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Your trans shop installed the steering damper wrong. Your rods came with relocation kit hardware. The damper is supposed to go on the drag link and there should have been another strip of metal to bolt on the passenger side frame.

Originally Posted by socal1200r
Finally got the roof basket secured. Picked up a set of Thule gutter rail clamps and crossbars thru the classifieds in here, and bought the basket thru WalMart's website. Couple irritating things about the basket though. The wind deflector fits VERY poorly, had to put the bolts thru the back with the nuts on the front at the top in order to get it to work. Also, the square bolts with **** fasteners were a joke, they were in NO way long enough to fit under the crossbar and be high enough to reach the basket, at least a half inch too short. But I was able to get some u-bolt hardware that worked, drove it around, retightened the nuts, then cut off the excess bolt length (after these pics were taken). And yes, I sticker-bombed the wind deflector, lol! Other pics show the other things I've done over the last week or two (new steering rods, rear cargo basket, new 245/75-16 tires on RRC wheels, etc). Found an old license plate frame, says "If Harley Made A Plane, Would You Fly In It?!", can't wait to see what kind of comments that's gonna get, lol...

Question on the rear steering rod and steering damper mount. Can someone look at that pic, and tell me if the knuckleheads that installed it have it oriented the right way? I'm thinking they have it backwards, in that the flat side for the damper mount should be directly at the bottom of the damper, and the flat piece that touches the steering rod, with the securing u-bolts, needs to be after it, not before it? The reason I say this is because I crawled under there a few days ago, and noticed that the mount was loose, and the reason why was because the u-bolts were too long, and they were touching the bottom of the damper, so no amount of tightening was going to fix that. So I removed the bolts and cut them, and mounted it the same way, but now I'm thinking it's backwards...

Old 06-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't the HD steering come with a damper relocation kit? If so they remounted it in the stock spot not where it should be, relocation kits go from front tie rod to pass frame rail, neat trailer

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?