Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Removed starter, checked flywheel, lubed bearings and reinstalled starter. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...cks-fix-75490/

Also dropped HVAC blower motor and did the yearly 3-IN-ONE oiling of that bearing as well to stop the cricket chirp on left hand turns. That has been ongoing for 4 years now. That is 4 years without having to replace the blower motor!

Old 09-15-2015, 01:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

installed underhood light assembly, that was originally on the 90's Chevy trucks. Has on/off switch and light can be pulled out 18', then reeled back in.
Light is pretty bright, but may try LED.

What did you do with your DII today?-img_4186.jpg

What did you do with your DII today?-img_4187.jpgAd

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 09-16-2015 at 01:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Booth (09-17-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little late in posting, but... last weekend I let the president of the local four wheel drive club talk me into running the club's adopted trail... double black diamond, running it the easy way... I got stuck, and then I got stuck, and then I got really stuck... the trail is a ridge route, with many, many steep, loose climbs. My DII hates steep, loose climbs, and it likes to spin tires... after the third hill, I ended up with one rear wheel down in a rut, and one front wheel up in the air. Without a locking center diff, I was done. Pres pulled me out and got me to a spot where we could turn around.

The DI CDL linkage I have in my garage is going in this weekend... I told myself I was gonna wait to upgrade until I reached the limits of my stock setup... it's time... the Pres was driving a Ford Ranger, and we watched a Lexus SUV come down the trail as I struggled to make it up...

Last edited by Clockwork John; 09-16-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Changed the fluid and filter on my tranny. PO had given me new filter and gasket, unfortunately, it was the wrong one, even tho Advance Auto lists it as the right one. Luckily O'Reilly Auto parts had 1 in stock close by. While I was under there, decided to check the transfer case, it was low so I drained and refilled. Added some Blue Devil sealant, due to a very small leak.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Dual Battery Tray mod is turning into an epic odyssey. (no battery pun intended)
Finally got both batteries in place, with the Hood able to latch.

Next up, is installing the IBS battery system and all the extra electrical gizmo's I've bolted on. I'm racing to get the truck ready for a run down to the Oregon desert for a landspeed world record attempt at the end of the month.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
installed underhood light assembly, that was originally on the 90's Chevy trucks. Has on/off switch and light can be pulled out 18', then reeled back in.
Light is pretty bright, but may try LED.

Attachment 27438

Attachment 27439Ad
Nice! very useful little mod.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Dual Battery Tray mod is turning into an epic odyssey. (no battery pun intended)
Finally got both batteries in place, with the Hood able to latch.

Next up, is installing the IBS battery system and all the extra electrical gizmo's I've bolted on. I'm racing to get the truck ready for a run down to the Oregon desert for a landspeed world record attempt at the end of the month.
I really like the dual battery idea. I am looking at purchasing the Smittybuilt dual battery tray made for optima batteries(which I have used forever). I looks like it could be mounted with a few brackets to hold it into place.

What did you do with your DII today?-%24_12.jpg

Smittybilt Dual Battery Tray for Optima Batteries Part 2799 | eBay

Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I really like the dual battery idea. I am looking at purchasing the Smittybuilt dual battery tray made for optima batteries(which I have used forever). I looks like it could be mounted with a few brackets to hold it into place.

Attachment 27474

Smittybilt Dual Battery Tray for Optima Batteries Part 2799 | eBay

The Columbia Overland tray is "bolt on" for a non facelift discovery for only 80 bucks more than that one. All of my drama was in trying to make it work with my '04. Now if you enjoy fabrication, you should take a flight up to Seattle and help me with my rapidly growing list of "todo's"

edit Just saw you have an '03 so you'd bve screwed like I was.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
The Columbia Overland tray is "bolt on" for a non facelift discovery for only 80 bucks more than that one. All of my drama was in trying to make it work with my '04. Now if you enjoy fabrication, you should take a flight up to Seattle and help me with my rapidly growing list of "todo's"

edit Just saw you have an '03 so you'd bve screwed like I was.
I saw the overland tray, and read about the guys making it fit(I guess it was you). At the price, I would want it to bolt on with not modification needed. At 100.00, leaves me some money for bracket fab. I don't have any need for 2nd battery, but I like it.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It is ALIVE

Put in Big End Bearings and it is PERFECT!!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?