Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Put some new rubbers on the panty dropper. I went with a set of street tires for now till I do a lift and all. They are the blacklion bc86 and were exceptionally reasonable ($560 installed with lifetime rotate and balance and road hazard with a 60k warranty). I was skeptical at first but the bands were going bad in my back two tires and it felt like a bed at a cheap hotel that took quarters. I went with a 245/70/r16 and they are surprisingly quite and smooth on the road. I will get the fallen' s at3 wildpeak when I do my lift but did these for the time being. Wife was a whole lot happier with that price too instead of getting an all terrain tire right now and a happy wife makes for a happy life.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well damn

Well, damn.

I would just like to submit my humbly correct opinion that super lock is stupid. Period.

Took my 2002 DII to the shop to get the rear bumper replaced after getting rear-ended. Told them NOT to lock the vehicle at all (since I didn't want to get into the specifics of super lock and which lullaby to sing depending on which door super locks). Of course, they super locked the thing and the rear tail door is stuck.

How fun.

First, I took all the normal steps of super lock denial: I lubed the handle (actually, I drowned the handle in WD-40 and PB Blaster); I double clicked the key fob 1000 times; I double unlocked with the key; I tapped (banged) on the door around the actuator; I took old Disco for a bumpy ride along a rocky desert vista and invited vagrants to steal it; I pulled off the door cover inside and actuated all arms and appendages of the actuator manually while politely walloping the actuator section of the door.

Then I accepted the possibility (certainty) of a super lock malfunction and jumped the common and super lock wires. My heart leapt when I thought I heard the mechanism release. Alas, it was my hopeful imagination. My rear tail door is still locked.

I think I will go buy a new air chisel and cutter. If I can cut out this section of door, I'll rebuild it from a low-grade oak and secure the door with a Velcro latch. Hell, I might extract all the lock actuators in favor of Velcro. I'll post a step by step if it works...

Super lock is stupid. You know I'm right.

Last edited by Caleb.hunter; 05-25-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Caleb.hunter
Well, damn.

I would just like to submit my humbly correct opinion that super lock is stupid. Period.

Took my 2002 DII to the shop to get the rear bumper replaced after getting rear-ended. Told them NOT to lock the vehicle at all (since I didn't want to get into the specifics of super lock and which lullaby to sing depending on which door super locks). Of course, they super locked the thing and the rear tail door is stuck.

How fun.

First, I took all the normal steps of super lock denial: I lubed the handle (actually, I drowned the handle in WD-40 and PB Blaster); I double clicked the key fob 1000 times; I double unlocked with the key; I tapped (banged) on the door around the actuator; I took old Disco for a bumpy ride along a rocky desert vista and invited vagrants to steal it; I pulled off the door cover inside and actuated all arms and appendages of the actuator manually while politely walloping the actuator section of the door.

Then I accepted the possibility (certainty) of a super lock malfunction and jumped the common and super lock wires. My heart leapt when I thought I heard the mechanism release. Alas, it was my hopeful imagination. My rear tail door is still locked.

I think I will go buy a new air chisel and cutter. If I can cut out this section of door, I'll rebuild it from a low-grade oak and secure the door with a Velcro latch. Hell, I might extract all the lock actuators in favor of Velcro. I'll post a step by step if it works...

Super lock is stupid. You know I'm right.
The tailgate on my D2 hasn't worked since I got it (but what do you expect when you pay less than $1000). I'd be interested in seeing where/what you chisel out to get it open since that operation is in my future.

The following users liked this post:
Caleb.hunter (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mskembo
The tailgate on my D2 hasn't worked since I got it (but what do you expect when you pay less than $1000). I'd be interested in seeing where/what you chisel out to get it open since that operation is in my future.
It's good to know I'm not alone. Whether I go with the chisel or high explosives, I'll see about posting video...

Old 05-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think high explosives might be a tad overzealous.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Fixed the broken transmission pan drain plug. Pretty painless with a left hand drill bit.
Drove around, monitoring temps, and checking handling after installing the new radius arms. Feels like the suspension handles wayyy better now, but that could also be due the previously finger-tight front upper shock bolt...
Temps are 204-212. 212 in stop and go, 204-208 when at speed. I'm okay with that for now. Motorad 180. Though I hit 221 starting her up after a gas-up... quickly went back down to 208 though.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Turns out the OEM grey 180 is the real deal. While a functional Motorad 180 is better than a stuck oem grey... a working oem grey is way better than either! Dropped 10-12 degrees all around, to 190-201. After I get some more air out hopefully I'll get to sub 190

Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Pro Wrench

My turn again...

Added a front runner rack. I like it a lot better than the Baja, because its made of aluminum, has flat bars, and no side rails. Construction is top notch. The one problem I have with it ... it's too short. It should be 6-8" longer. I left a slat out near the front so my sunroof is unobstructed, but it looks a little funny and should be moved back a bit, but the sunroof is too hard to give up. Rear sunroof is no longer usable, but thats ok.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Replaced my belt tensioner finally. Found out a PO had cross threaded the bolt for the pulley so the threads came out with the bolt. I had put a paper clip in the hole then jammed the bolt in to get me by. Also scanned my abs module because of random amigos riding along. Shuttle valve. So I re wired that. As of right meow, everything works. (Knock on wood)

Old 05-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Had the alignment checked again after adding the caster corrected arms. I'm still .25% short of the minimum, which is fine... maybe when I add a winch and rock sliders it will drop into spec. I have the TF 3" HD springs/shocks
Since no adjustments were needed, les schwab didn't charge me anything! That surprised me.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?