Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Trying to save a few bucks. Lol.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

I do NOT get along with ATF. This is about the jankiest thing I've ever done.

Transmission cooler line tried to blow up on my way home. Didn't totally explode, thankfully. Unfortunately all I had was duck tape and band clamps; no extra hose like usual. Luckily I was only a couple miles from home. Patched her up as well as possible with the given materials and she made it home.

I REALLY need to get hopping on that manual trans swap.

Name:  2J1f9Xd.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  232.0 KB

Old 04-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Dang, nice roadside repair! How did you notice the problem?

There's a thread recently on dweb discussing replacing those hardlines with braided stainless steel hoses. I've been thinking about it, since these pipes are not available anymore.

For me, I tried to drift the CV off the halfshaft, but no luck. If I had a vise and proper attachment for my slide hammer it would have been doable. Good news is the new halfshaft arrives today (thanks to SoCal ground shipping).

I also realized after the fact that to replace the oil seal, you don't even need to undo the spindle nut, you can just pull the shaft and wheel hub out as one. I'll keep that in mind for next time...

Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, thanks Jeff. I knew there was an issue from the cloud of smoke behind me. It was, as always, flying into the header. No fire this time at least!

I got that all fixed up. Actually changed my cooler setup a little bit. Not 100% happy with it yet. I might have to get some lines made. We'll see.

I also changed my oil, and while I was at it I did that thing I've been putting off for about 4 years. I added an oil pressure gauge. I drilled and tapped that plug that's above the oil filter. I did remove the plug to do so; didn't let any metal into my oil passages.

Part of me is glad I installed it. Part of me wishes I hadn't. Check this out (warm idle)

Name:  gLvMxi6.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  2.34 MB

THAT would explain why my oil light has started flicking on here and there at idle. She goes right up as soon as she gets any RPM in her, but idle is pretty sad.

I'm supposed to drive 7 hrs next weekend for a week long beach trip. Guess I better get to dropping the pan on Tuesday to see what the issue is. Pleeeeease be a crusty pickup o-ring.

There's also some cavitation going on. Little bubbles in the oil. Any recommendations or insight are welcome.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Probably time for a new oil pump. What oil are you using? Heavy oil isn't good for this type of pump

Old 04-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Hmm, easiest possible fixes are low oil, a worn relief valve spring in the front cover (highly unlikely), clogged oil pickup or bad o-ring.

Next easiest fix... oil pump.

Next "easiest" fix... cam bearings, main and rod bearings. These are the most likely culprits imo. How many miles on the engine?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Camel Trophy

156k on the engine. Oil pump is unlikely. It's new maybe 10-15k ago.

I'm fearing a walked cam bearing. Reeeeealy hoping for that o-ring or that the pickup tube is clogged. Probably find out Monday or Tuesday. That is, unless I get a hankering to tear into her tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Welp, we're f*cked, boys. #4 cam bearing has walked out. Guess I need to get one overnighted from Lucky 8 tomorrow and see if I can find a bearing installation tool locally.

Name:  2wGKqTo.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  3.23 MB

Old 04-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Damn, that sucks. Might be worth contacting Turner, they're a fraction of the price and should get to you in 2 days. Ironically, made in the USA. Durabond is what you're looking for. https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/...et-c2x20634667

More info from Turner on oil groove vs smooth bearings:

The camshaft bearings we us do not have the oil grooves (they are Durabond) Durabond offer an option for a bearing that replicates the oem bearing. In reality all v8 bearings tend to wear quite heavily on the thrust side of the front bearing. You could argue that the oil grooves give less bearing surface area. The oem bearing only has oil grooves on the non thrust upper side which may help distribute oil. The reality of the situation is they are all good bearings and they all work however the heavy wear described above appears to be a fact of life with the V8.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

That sucks. Also, confirms my notion of adding a stand alone oil/temp/amp guage set-up. CB was going to be my next purchase...but now...l'll just have to wave my arms for help.

Good luck with repair.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 04-15-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?