Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
The pic is wrong, but 53229 is a 53229. I even think on their website they mention actual product varies from pic. That is the same exact link I used when I bought mine.
Huh, ok. Reckon I'm wrong then. Well either way, I'll hopefully get the stuff on order tonight and get it at least by Thursday.

I can't find any machine shop to lap my lifters and nobody has any for a price I'm willing to pay, so looks like I might be hand lapping lifters anyway.

Edit: scratch that. Rock Auto might have some factory style for a Buick for $83 with 2 day shipping. We'll see what happens.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

LRdirect has lifters for $3 a pop. Richard @ Turner says the britparts are good quality.

The "OEM's" are a buck more and LRD Workshop Approved, but it says the supplier is Britpart, so I am not sure of the difference...

https://www.lrdirect.com/ERC4949-Hyd...keep_https=yes

Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Replaced the front axle oil seal again, crossing fingers for no leaks.

Greased the centering ***** and u-joints. That has to be the worst maintenance task ever. Dropping both drive shafts.... changing grease fittings... real pita
Need some sort of ratcheting wrench that'll fit over those drive shaft nuts. Doing quarter turns by hand takes foreeeever

Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Drove 40km to the outlet mall on the other side of the city in a snow storm. There was so much of a headwind I could only manage 110km/h and about 6 mpg. Coming home was good, I was only at 20% engine load lol

Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Ok, I double checked Summit and ended up even finding the Crower cams even through their website. Odd; might just be an ignoramus. That's what the little golf tee game always told me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, they still had a prospective ship date listed of 5-2-18. In stock or not, that scared me a little. I ended up ordering the 53231 (stage 3) cam directly through Crower along with 2 day shipping, which was INSANE. Almost $60 just for the shipping I think. Came out to $327.89.

I also ordered a set of Rhoads lifters from Summit, also with two day shipping which was much more reasonable at $13, and the final price came to $177.97. These should balance out the bottom end with the bigger cam, in theory.

Finally, I ordered a set of Buick cam bearings through Rock Auto with one day shipping. Came out to $81.78 to my door Wednesday. These were a bit of a gamble. My research tells me they'll work, but I'm still a bit nervous about it considering my tight timeline. If they end up not fitting I'll still have time to overnight a set.

All in all, there's just shy of $590 in parts. Ouch. Oh well; happens. I look forward to getting her back together and driving it to the beach to test it out. Now there's putting some faith in your own work.

Oh, and I picked up some 3/4" threaded rod, thick fender washers, and 3/4" nuts to attempt to make my own bearing install tool. If it works I'll post pictures for others to go by. If it works for $15, that's the ticket.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default “Christine”

Fell into a deal on a 1978 MGB back in the fall of ‘17. Ever since buying it my Disco II has had more problems than anytime over past 5 years. This weekend was nice so I put MG up on jack stands, pulled the wheels for a refinish. Worked on them between running the kids to soccer games. Disco apparently starred me down all day on Saturday. Coming back from last soccer game of the day on Saturday around 7pm, 70mph on highway, heard a pop and then race car sounds.... exhaust came apart at the down pipe from header before the first Cat. I’m sorry Rover God’s, the MG is just a toy, you are my daily driver. Disco has Christine complex??

Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 99RedDisco
Fell into a deal on a 1978 MGB back in the fall of ‘17. Ever since buying it my Disco II has had more problems than anytime over past 5 years. This weekend was nice so I put MG up on jack stands, pulled the wheels for a refinish. Worked on them between running the kids to soccer games. Disco apparently starred me down all day on Saturday. Coming back from last soccer game of the day on Saturday around 7pm, 70mph on highway, heard a pop and then race car sounds.... exhaust came apart at the down pipe from header before the first Cat. I’m sorry Rover God’s, the MG is just a toy, you are my daily driver. Disco has Christine complex??
Sounds like you need an old priest and a young priest

Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Going to have a look at my hydraulic rear step. There is a good amount of rust on the outside. I will try to remove the plastic step portion and try to clean it up. Probably finish it with Tremclad paint. Other ideas? I think this little extension gets a lot of beating from road debris and rocks.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Skip the tremclad and just use spray on bedliner

Old 04-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Tricky Dick blew the lower hose off the T stat. Will dig into why that happen this week, looks like another order to Lucky8 for a new hose and the 180 T stat depending on any other damages.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?